Tuesday 29 March 2011

Rocket and Roses Spicy Black Bean Soup

Kitchen Play List:  Lady Antebellum ~ Need You Now CD

In my recent  goal of using up the bags of 'old' dried beans I found in the back of my dried good stocks, I created this spicy and filling soup. It really isn't for anyone that hates a bit of spiciness in their meals, so please be warned. I was taken by surprise at how spicy it turned out to be. lol.  My Love threw a bag of Black Turtle Beans into the pressure cooker for me last night and I needed a soup for the week for lunches and so that's where this creation came from. 

It's easy to make and looks beautiful before and after it's blended. 


Rocket and Roses Spicy Black Turtle Bean Soup Serves 6
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tbsp Carotino Healthier Cooking oil or oil of choice
1 med onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped (with seeds)
4 garlic cloves, grated
5 cups/2lb cooked Black Turtle Beans
1 14oz tin/carton of chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp Chipotle Tabasco sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 pints/ 3 1/2 cups of veggie stock
boiled water for the blending stage

Saute the onion and the garlic in the oil for 5 minutes until the onion is soft, stirring constantly to avoid it sticking. Add in the peppers and chilli and stir to combine, cook for 5 minutes. 

Add the cumin and stir to coat the veggies, cook for 2 minutes. Then add the cooked beans and stir to combine. Add in the tomatoes, stir and then pour in the veggie stock and tabasco sauce. Grind black pepper into the pan and then stir well.

Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. With a stick blender, blitz until it's a speckled smooth texture. My soup was very thick at this point so I watered it down with hot boiling water to the consistency that I wanted. Re-season and serve.


I just wanted to add this shot of the soup in the pan before I blitzed it. I thought is was so lovely that it deserved an extra shot. I would be happy to eat it like this but unfortunately My Love doesn't appreciate 'lumpy' soups! Not even if I call them stews. lol. I have one recipe that I get away with...ah well. Enjoy at this stage or the above folks! lol