Tuesday 8 March 2011

Bolognese Sauce

Kitchen Play List:   Mozart Adagios 

I woke up this morning feeling a need for comfort. It's a beautiful spring morning but very chilly. There are a handful of recipes that I have at hand for these days. And today I've turned to Linda Majzlik's A Vegan Taste of Italyand in particular, her Bolognese Sauce. A serving of this sauce on top of some wholemeal spaghetti, with some steamed Broccoli, and I smile a lot.

I haven't always liked TVP, in fact I've hated it most of my life, but the new style granules are very nice. I was at a friend's house for lunch a few years ago, she served pasta and tomato sauce with the granules in and I was hooked from the first mouthful. No nasty chewy bits like the TVP of old. I came straight home and tried it myself and now I make at least one meal a week from it. Greatly inspired by our friend R and Linda Majzilk's use of it in many of her recipes..thank you ladies. 




Bolognese Sauce 
(recipe from Vegan Taste of Italy)

14oz/400g tin of chopped tomatoes
6oz/175g carrot, peeled
4oz/100g TVP granules
2oz/50g mushrooms, sliced
2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely sliced
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
14 fl oz/425ml veggie stock
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped oregano or 1 tsp dried
1/4 tsp nutmeg
black pepper
2 tbsp soya milk or cream (optional) I don't use this

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and the celery until soft. Grate half the carrots and finely chop the rest. Add to the pan with the other ingredients except the soya milk or cream. Stir well and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the mixture thickens. Stir in the soya milk or cream just before serving, if using. 

Thats it...simple but always guaranteed to bring a smile to my face. :o)