Wednesday 2 March 2011

Griddled Baby Eggplant & Tofu Slices with Korean Barbeque Sauce and Spicy Spring Onion Garnish

Kitchen Play List: Cafe Latte Lounge ~ 20's Jazz Compilation Album



Today was Mystery Ingredient Challenge Day and I couldn't have been happier with chosen veggie. It was the tasty Spring Onion which worked perfectly for todays blog recipe. I have been experimenting with baby eggplants this week and I had one final recipe to try out. The recipe in question is Grilled Baby Eggplant with Korean Barbecue Sauce and Spicy Green Onion Garnish from the FatFreeVegan.com. This is one of my very favourite websites and I have a file full of Susan V's recipes. And as the Green Onion garnish is infact what we call Spring Onions over here in England, it seemed the perfect time to try it out.
 
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/08/grilled-baby-eggplants-with-korean.html

I did make a couple of changes to Susan's recipe above. Very simple changes that make this more to my taste.  Instead of halving the eggplants I sliced them into 5 slices per eggplant and I sliced up some plain tofu to serve with it. And as its very cold here right now I got out my stove top griddle pan and brushed the eggplant and tofu with oil and griddled them until cooked. I served them on a bed of brown rice, alternating a row of eggplants slices with a slice of tofu. Then drizzled the Sauce over the rice, tofu and eggplant. Then went back over with the Spicy Spring Onion Garnish. 


We really enjoyed this meal. The flavours are intense and the chilli leaves a nice glow behind. The garnish is a delight and I will make that again as a salad dressing.  So good! lol. And the tofu and eggplant as a combination was  excellent.  The brown rice rounded the dish out very nicely.  I urge you to  click on the link above and try this recipe for yourself.