Wednesday 2 March 2011

Borlotti Bean and Garlic Dip

Kitchen Play List:     Whitesnake ~ Fool For Your Loving 
                                    Pixie Lott ~ Mama Do 
                                    The Gossip ~ Fire With Fire
                                    Frank Sinatra ~ Witchcraft
                                    Fantcha ~ Sol Ja Camba
                                    Robert Palmer ~ Simply Irresistible 
                                    Queen ~ Your're My Best Friend

Holy stockpile of dried beans batman! lol This weekend I re-organised my dried goods stock cupboards. And now I am left with several bags of dried beans that I need to use up by...well..yesterday. lol. So this week I shall be trying my best to get them through the pressure cooker and made into tasty meals. The first bag on the list was a 500g bag of Rose Coco Beans. They are very pretty beans and can be used in the same way that Borlotti or Pinto Beans are used. I already had in mind two recipes to use them in. 

Borlotti beans are fantastic in dips and of course the wonderful re-friend beans. This recipe I had found online last year submitted to a site by Rekha Arnott. I printed it off and added to my recipe files. And I'm very happy to be making it at last. 

The results are a very thick, creamy, garlicky, comforting dip. A little goes a long way. I used it as a topping for my lunchtime salad and I think it would be great with crudites, chips or on bread. 

 

Borlotti Bean and Garlic Dip
(Recipe by Rekha Arnott)

40 ml olive oil
2 garlic cloves, grated
400g cooked Borlotti beans (or 1 tin)
40 ml lemon juice
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley 
Salt and Black Pepper to season

Heat the oil in a small pan and add the garlic, cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant. Be careful not to let it burn! Turn off the heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes. 


In a food processor, place the drained beans, lemon juice, parsley and then the oil and garlic. Process until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper. 


Spoon into a container and store in the fridge until serving.