Thursday 24 March 2011

Parsnip, Date and Banana Loaf

Kitchen Play List: Mr. Buble ~ I've Got You Under My Skin
                                  Body Rockers ~ I Like The Way You
                                  The Eagles ~ What Do I Do With My Heart
                                  The Union ~ Holy Roller
                                  Jack Johnson ~ Monsoon
                                  Slash ft Dave Grohl ~ Watch This

Yes! You have read that correctly, it does say Parsnip. A good pal who is a cake-oholic would baulk at this recipe and hasn't quite forgiven me for a Zucchini Chocolate Birthday Cake I made her a few years ago. In her opinion, vegetables have no place in the cake world. lol. We respectfully agree to disagree on this subject and as I keep her supplied with non-vegetable cakes as often as I can..it doesn't come up. lol.

I found this recipe under a search for Parsnip recipes as I have two rather large bargain bags of them to use. I guess I could've made up plenty of bags of Parsnip Soup but I didn't want to. I wanted to find new ways of using these beautiful root veggies. And when my search came up with this recipe I couldn't resist trying it. And it's also Gluten Free so it would be good to have in the recipe library. 


The result was a very sweet, dense little loaf. Its moistness reminded me of the Bread Pudding my Mum used to make. Not to be confused with Bread and Butter Pudding!! I really liked it. And due to it's sweetness and density you only need a thin slice to go with a cuppa. 





Parsnip, Date & Banana Loaf 1 8" Loaf
(Recipe from Teafactory.wordpress.com)

1 large parsnip, boiled, drained and mashed
3.5oz/100g stoned dates, roughly chopped
1 banana, mashed
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup/ 150g gluten free flour (I used 1/2 cup Rice flour blend & 1/4 cup tapioca flour)
2 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat the oven to 350'F/180'C/Gas Mark 4 and line an 8"x 5" loaf tin. 

Place the chopped dates into a small pan and add enough water to the pan to cover the dates. Gently heat and stir until the dates have dissolved into a smooth paste. Add the margarine and stir to combine. 

Add the mashed banana and mashed parsnip, stir to combine. 

In another bowl, sift in the dry ingredients. Fold this into the wet ingredients, adding a little water if the batter is too dry. 

Pour into the lined loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. 

Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Thinly slice to serve with a nice pot of tea. 

Enjoy!