Thursday 31 March 2011

Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon Recipe & Review

Kitchen Play List:  Bizet ~ Carmen

I found this recipe after doing a random search on the web for vegan hot chocolate. It was from manyveggierecipes.com and seemed to have good reviews.  So I decided to try it out as the first attempt at finding my one good Hot Chocolate recipe. For today I have made it exactly as the gent advised with one exception. I had to use regular soya milk with a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract as Vanilla Soya Milk is very expensive in England. 

It was very easy to make and the only tricky part, for me anyway, was being patient whilst the milk heated enough to serve. He was very clear to not let the milk boil. And it looked good as I poured it into my mug of choice. And on the whole it was ok but personally I could have done with a little less cinnamon. I felt it overpowered the chocolate. And as usual with soya hot chocolate I was left with 'that' after taste in my mouth which I really don't find pleasing. 

I think I will score this recipe a 2** out of the 5***** maximum. To make this again and leave out the cinnamon would make it an entirely different recipe anyway so I won't try. If I try it again using less cinnamon and an alternative sweetner than I will update this blog. 


Hot Chocolate with Cinnamon
(Recipe from manyveggierecipes.com)

1/2 cup filtered water
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cups vanilla soya milk (I used reg soya milk with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
dash of salt

In a small saucepan, add all the ingredients except the soya milk. 

Heat to a simmer on a med-high heat, stir frequently. 

Add the soya milk, heat until it's hot enough to serve.

DO NOT ALLOW THE MIX TO BOIL!!