Thursday 10 March 2011

Happy Lemon Haupia

Kitchen Play List: Melissa Etheridge ~ Stronger Than Me
                                The Gossip ~ Yr Tangled Heart
                                Skid Row  ~ Slave to the Grind
                                Frank Sinatra ~ Night and Day
                                Evanescence ~ My Immortal
                                P.Diddy ~ Tell Me
                                Thunder ~ The Devil Made Me Do It!! 
                                Vivaldi: The Four Seasons Op.8/4,  RV 297, 
                                               "Winter" 1.Allergro Non Molto 

We had two good pals come and share our evening meal last night. D & B are always  welcome visitors. I enjoy cooking for them and catching up and last night was no different. I made the Grilled Tofu & Eggplant Slices with Korean Barbeque Sauce and Spicy Spring Onion Garnish over brown rice. When I made this for the first time last week, I just knew that I had to make this the next time they came over. Sorted! But for dessert I wanted something new to try out. I was cruising the usual sites for inspiration and came across this Lemon Coconut Pie...or Happy Lemon Haupia (the Hawaiian name for it) posted on Vegweb.com by VermillionOnion. I thought it looked interesting, simple and potentially delish! And to be honest the Hawaiian name sold it to me....lol

So I printed off the recipe and made it. The crust was very easy to make and the filling came together so quickly that I thought maybe I had done something wrong. I'm not used to fillings actually firming up quickly...I'm usually shouting and begging for them to firm! Patience...is not one of my virtues. So I spread it into the crust and then left it to cool and then placed it in the fridge to finish setting....so far so good.

The results  were visually great with the lemon strips decorating it. And it came out of the tin very easily and sliced nicely. However the first mouthful was a shock for all of us as the filling looks so creamy but it wasn't. The flavours were fresh and clean, the perfect amount of lemon and coconut..it was the texture that surprised us. It was like a light jelly. D and My Love likened it to the milk jellies from their childhood...B & I had never had this pleasure so we couldn't comment on this. From the second mouthful we were all hooked and very much enjoyed the dessert. The pastry was crisp but still had a softness and tasted very good. D & B were happy to take seconds home with them. lol.



Happy Lemon Haupia Serves 8 
(Recipe posted on Vegweb.com by VermillionOnion)

Shortbread Pie Crust:
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup of melted margarine


Filling:
1/2 cup sifted cornflour
1 14oz can coconut milk plus 1/2 can of water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon


Lemon strips to garnish


Crust: To make the shortbread crust , mix together the flour, icing sugar and the melted margarine. Press this into a 9" pie dish, using your fingers to push it out to the edges and up the sides. Poke this crust with a fork a few times to prevent it bubbling. Bake this at 325'F/170'C/Gas mark 3 for 20 minutes, or until it's slightly browned. 


Filling: Sift the cornflour into a saucepan. Add about half of the coconut milk and whisk until its smooth before adding the rest of the coconut milk, water and sugar. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a boil slowly over med-high heat, whisking frequently until thickened, 10 - 15 minutes. Pour the filling into the pre-baked pie crust and let set for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature before placing in the fridge until fully cooled (a few hours) The should set up almost like jelly/jello. 


Garnish: Make a few lemon peel swirls and lighty drop over the pie. 


NB: My filling didn't boil...but thickened very quickly! I turned away for one minute and turned back and it was very thick. So don't be shocked if it happens to you too! I hope you make this...Red