Friday 11 March 2011

Rocket and Roses Raspberry and Orange Scones

Kitchen Play List:   Shakira ~ Long Time
                                  The Gossip ~ Dime Store Diamond
                                  Thunder ~ Dirty Dream
                                  Bowes & Morley ~ Since I Left Her
                                  Muse ~ Resistance
                                  Ave maria
                                  Duffy ~ Warwick Avenue
                                  Whitesnake ~ Deeper The Love
                                  Maroon 5 ~ Sweetest Goodbye


I was given the loveliest gift of a punnet of fresh luscious looking raspberries on Wednesday evening. They were a gift from a lovely pal, D, and I couldn't wait to devour them as much as the next raspberry loving freak would. lol. Then this morning I woke up and thought how nice and relaxing it would be to have a baking day. I wanted to finally master the scone curse that I seemed to be living with. Up to today I have always ended up with hockey pucks! lol. 


For the base for this recipe I have borrowed the classic scone recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking : The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. I always find currant scones...ok...but I wanted something more. So then I added the punnet of raspberries and zested an orange and used 1 tsp of it and added it to the mix. I found out why fresh raspberries are hardly ever used in scones. lol. I looked like I was wearing shocking pink gloves. lol. But it washed off easy enough.  The smell coming from the oven was pure delight! And I have to say they have baked off beautifully and I am quite proud of them. 




 Rocket and Roses Raspberry and Orange Scones 
(Scone base recipe orignates from The Joy of Vegan baking then inspiration
was added from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen...a joint effort!)    

1 tsp of egg replacer (equivalent of one egg)
2 tbsp water
2 1/2 cups (313g) plain flour
1/3 cup (67g) sugar
4 tsps (6.1g) baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup (169g) vegan margarine, cold
1/2 cup (120ml) soya milk

1 punnet of raspberries
1 tsp fresh orange zest

Demerara sugar for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 425'f/220'c/Gas Mark 7. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 

In a small bowl whisk the egg replacer and water together until it's thick and creamy.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the margarine to the dry ingredients and cut it in with two knives. You want the crumbs look. 

Stir in the raspberries and the orange zest.

Add the milk and the egg replacer mixture, and keep the mixing to a minimum to avoid developing the gluten. Mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened. The dough won't be completely smooth like bread dough. 

Gather the dough into a ball (you may need to add just one more tsp of milk  or water), and place on a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll the dough out to a 1/2 inch thick round, and cut into 8 or 10 scones. Place onto the baking sheets and sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cook on a rack or serve warm. 


Enjoy!