Tuesday 15 March 2011

French Onion Pie/Tart

Kitchen Play List: Jack Johnson ~ Constellations
                                  Prince ~ Gett Off
                                  Baha Men ~ Move It Like This (don't judge lol)
                                  Alanis Morissette ~ Le'ts Do It
                                  Harry Connick Jr ~ The Way You Look Tonight
                                  Shakira ~ Te Aviso , Te  Anuncio 
                                  Thunder ~ Dirty Love
                                  Sara Sant'Ambrogio  ~ Vocalise
                                  Queen ~ You're My Best Friend

I have stared longingly at the photo that accompanies this recipe from the first moment I received this cookbook.The Vegan Tableby Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is splendid. I received it the day we set off on a week long holiday and whilst My Love was busy flying kites and swimming I was sat reading this cookbook cover to cover. It's a massive book filled with recipes, photos and good advice. I've made many meals from it and for some reason I've always put off making this pie/tart. Maybe because it's a pastry dish and we try and limit our starches? I expect so. Last night I was trying to find a recipe that I could use my glut of onions up on and I flipped through the pages and it fell open at this recipe. Who am I, to argue with fate? lol.  I did have second thoughts when I saw that it makes two pies/tarts. But then decided to go for it anyway and freeze it in two person portions. (You will need two tart/quiches pans for this recipe).

I didn't use the suggested pie crust as it was a very sweet (strange) so I used my old faithful pastry recipe that I always use for making Broccoli and Spinach Quiche and such things. It's basically this:

8oz wholemeal self-raising flour
3oz cold vegan margarine
water to bind

In a food processor place the flour and then add the margarine. Process until it resembles crumbs and then add water until it forms a large ball of dough. Roll out and place into a lined or greased tin. Bake blind for 10 minutes at 350'F/180'C/Gas Mark 4. Voila!


French Onion Pie/Tart
(Recipe from The Vegan Table by C. Patrick-Goudreau)

2 pastry pie/tart shells
1 tbsp vegan margarine, oil or water for sauteing
5 very large onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt, plus a little extra 
1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk (I use soya)
15 oz (420g) extra firm tofu (not silken) 1 reg Cauldron pack for us Brits
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
5 tbsp (40g) flour (I used whml plain)
2 tbsp (25g) nutritional yeast flakes (optional) 

Grease and line two 9" tart/quiche baking tins or dishes.  

Preheat oven to 350'F/180'C/Gas Mark 4. Bake your pie/tart shells for 10 minutes, and remove from over. Set aside.

In a very large skillet, cook the onions and garlic in the marg/oil/water, stirring occasionally until onions become translucent. Add the sugar and a little salt (to your own taste). Cook for 20-25 minutes. 

In a blender or food processor, combine milk, tofu, remaining salt, pepper, nutmeg, flour, and nutritional yeast (if using) until the mixture is smooth. Add the contents of the blender into the pan of cooked onions.

Stir all ingredients together and distribute evenly between the 2 partially cooked cases. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling sets. Serve immediately.  

Enjoy! 
/