Wednesday 9 March 2011

Rocket and Roses Smokey Gungo Pea Soup

Kitchen Play List: Rolling Stones ~ Let's Spend the Night Together
                                Shania Twain ~ I'm Not in the Mood
                                The Eagles ~ Waiting in the Weeds
                                Shakira ~ She Wolf
                                The Kinks ~ Dedicated Follower of Fashion
                                Martina McBride ~ One Day You Will
                               E.Fitzgerald & L.Armstrong ~ Can Anyone Explain?

Gungo Peas are the next dried bag that I needed to use up after my dried store cupboard sort through. I remember buying these peas after enjoying a tin of them I had purchased from the local health food store. I hadn't the first clue what to do with them so I ended up throwing them into a slow cooker recipe one day. But I really enjoyed their taste and couldn't really afford the expensive prices of the tinned ones. So I bought a bag of the dried ones...and then forgot they were there. Oops! So now they are through the pressure cooker and sat in a box looking very tasty. 



I sat down with my pad and my thoughts and started writing a list of possible uses. I wanted to try making a soup but not a heavy soup and felt that the peas might just hit the right level of lightness. My mind was conjuring up a smokey soup so that is exactly what I came up with. The result was a thin soup but full of flavour. A hit of chilli and the smokiness from the Liquid Aminos and the succulent peas all merge to make one heck of a tasty soup...if I do say so myself! lol. It wasn't the easiest soup to photograph but I think I got it in the end? 




 Rocket and Roses Smokey Gungo Pea Soup           Serves 6
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 small garlic cloves, grated
1 tbsp ginger, grated 
1 red chilli, deseeded and minced
2 cups/12 oz cooked Gungo Beans
2 med sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Liquid Aminos
2 1/2 pints/6 cups/ 1400 ml veggie stock
1 tbsp olive oil 
3 tbsp fresh parsley 
Salt and Black Pepper to season (optional) 

In a soup pan heat the oil and add the red onion and saute until softened. Grate into the pan the garlic and the ginger and add in the minced chilli. Stir to combine. Saute for 1 minute. Then spoon in the Garam Masala and saute for a further minute, to warm the spices.

Add in the chopped sweet potato and stir to coat in the onion/spice mix. Throw the Gungo Peas next and saute for 3 minutes. Add the veggie stock to the pan and the liquid aminos and stir well. Bring the stock to a boil, cover and simmer until the sweet potato is cooked.

Using a blender or a stick blender blitz the soup until smooth. It will be a light brown and speckled with the dark skins of the peas and red flecks of the chilli.

Roughly chop the parsley and garnish. 

Enjoy!