Friday 25 March 2011

Leek , Zucchini, Fennel Soup

Kitchen Play List: Queen ~ We Will Rock You
                                  Sara Sant'Ambrgio ~  Summertime
                                  Thunder ~ Backstreet Symphony
                                  Baha Men ~ Move It Like This
                                  Kings Of Leon ~ I Want You
                                  Melissa Etheridge ~ Please Forgive Me
                                  Billy Ocean ~ Love Really Hurts Without You

My Love came home with a bag filled of shopping bargains this week. So much so, that I have been kitchen bound (like that is a chore! lol) trying to find ways to use them all up. Amongst the bargains were 2 large luscious fennel bulbs and 2 large leeks. 

The recipe that follows was posted by 'Anon' on one of the many websites I visit. I made a double batch as I had the ingredients to do so. The result was a very savoury and light soup. It was also very beautiful in colour. But be warned, it keeps its heat very well and I confess I burnt my mouth and my lip, trying to rush it! lol. 


Leek, Zucchini and Fennel Soup Serves 4-6
(Recipe posted by Anon!)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 whole large leek, green and white parts separated and thinly sliced
1/2 large bulb of Fennel, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped (courgettes to us Brits! lol)
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
6 cups veggie stock
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil over a med-low heat, stir in the green part of the leeks, and saute for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the leeks along with the fennel, zucchini, and garlic, cover, and let cook, stirring occassionally, for 15-20 minutes, until soft. 

Add fennel seeds and stock, increase heat to medium, and cook another 10-15 minutes. 

Let the soup cool and then blend it until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Enjoy!