Wednesday 23 March 2011

Passion Fruit and Orange Mousse

Kitchen Play List: Slade ~ Bangin Man
                                  Bowes & Morley ~ I'd take the Stars Out of the Sky
                                  Kings of Leon ~ Revelry
                                  Bee Gees ~ Night Fever
                                  Pearl Jam ~Release
                                  Melissa Etheridge ~ Like The Way I Do
                                  The Eagles ~ You Are Not Alone
 


The mystery ingredient this week was a surprise. I was handed a bubble wrapped black thing! lol. I carefully unwrapped it and it turned out to be three little passion fruits and with a price tag of 50p they were also a bargain! I knew instantly what I would make, as I had been leafing through A Vegan Taste of East Africaby Linda Majzilk, a few weeks ago for some inspiration and had seen a dessert that I had wanted to try. But passion fruit being quite expensive I had mentally put it on my 'one day' list. Good work My Love. lol. 

Having three passion fruit I had to halve the recipe but that didn't make any difference to the taste. The texture was more yoghurt like as opposed to mousse and I know, made with the full recipe it would be, just right. The flavours zing and have a pleasant sharpness. Very refreshing!  


Passion Fruit and Orange Mousse
(Recipe from A Vegan Taste of East Aftrica by L.Majzilk)

6 passion fruits
8fl oz/225ml fresh orange juice
8fl oz/225ml soya milk
1oz/25g cornflour
1oz/25g brown sugar 

Scoop the pulp and the seeds from 4 of the passion fruits into a saucepan, add the orange juice and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes, then strain the juice into a jug, pressing out as much pulp as possible with the back of a spoon. Mix the cornflour with the soya milk until smooth, add to the juice and stir until well combined. Pour into a double boiler and bring to the boil while stirring. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens, then pour into 4 individual dishes. Cover and chill until set and garnish with the pulp and seeds from the remaing passion fruit before serving. 



Enjoy!