Thursday 28 June 2012

Music from the Movies of Nora Ephron..

It was a sad moment when the news of the death of Nora Ephron reached R & R HQ this week.

The late great Nora Ephron
I have owned and watched some of her movies for the longest time and still watch them over and over again to this day. They are part of my 'feel good' batch of movies that when things are getting on top of me..I know I can press play and be taken away from life for a little while...and that time can refuel me and give me the strength to get through the next batch of Urgh! lol. So I scrapped my original idea for today's blog and decided that ML's idea of writing a tribute blog to Ephron using the music from my favourite movies..was a by far better one!

So Ms Ephron..this posting is to celebrate your life...and your work..thank you for many hours of 'happy' in my past..and many many more in my future...in this heart you won't be forgotten.

Amazing Grace ~ Meryl Streep
There aren't many words that are needed regarding Silkwood..such an amazing movie....

It Had To Be You ~ Harry Connick Jr
Oh Wow..where do I start with this movie?? lol. I have loved it from the first moment I watched it. I love the characters..all of them. I love the back drop of NYC...I love the humour and the vunerability in the word play. Of course there is 'that' scene..lol I've actually eaten there but the food certainly didn't have that effect on me! lol The song I chose for this film has special significance to ML & I as it's 'our' song and we danced to it when we got hitched. I will still be watching this movie..as I own it on VHS, DVD and have the soundtrack on CD..until the day I die. Love it!

Make Someone Happy ~ Jimmy Durante
Fell for this movie when I first saw it at the movies...big time. Then was gifted the VHS..then bought the DVD..and I have the soundtrack too..lol. I think of this film and I get a huge grin on my face..all the characters are great and acted so well. The whole fate theme is interesting to me. And I adore the soundtrack to this movie..so this is why and am going to link a couple more from the OST... A Kiss To Build A Dream On ~ Louis Armstrong Great tune... Stardust ~ Nat King Cole Haunting lyric and beautiful melody..and the great Nat King Cole.  In The Wee Small Hours of Morning ~ Carly Simon  Deeply emotional tune...and finally...Back in the Saddle Again ~ Gene Autry for smiles I get when Tom Hanks character attempts to ask someone out for a simple drink..lol. Told you I loved this soundtrack..

Feels Like Home ~ Bonnie Raitt
I confess to only watching this movie once..but I enjoyed it. And for me this song is one of my most favourite songs of all time..



Dreams ~ The Cranberries
Ephron, Ryan and Hanks slay me once again in this movie. I loved the original it's based on, The Shop Around the Corner...and because of that it took me some time before I sat and watched it. My friends Michael & Tim..having cooked an awesome Eggplant Parmesan for  me, for dinner, were so stunned that I hadn't seen it..they insisted we watch it whilst eating dessert. Oh how they cried at the end..lol. And as the titles rolled I knew that I would buying the DVD the next day..lol. Which I did..and the soundtrack is great..but this song will always be the one I remember the most. And once again..great acting..by all.  

Georgia On My Mind ~ Ray Charles
Now for the cast list alone I wanted to watch this movie...then I found out it was an Ephron movie and it was set in stone I would watch it..lol. I know it didn't get a great reception from the critics..but I thought they were way too harsh. I like this movie because it is about real family situations..ok the hollywood version..but still a real family dynamic. I think it was all acted very well..and although there wasn't a great soundtrack it did have the very talented Mr Ray Charles singing Georgia On My Mind.

Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic ~ The Police
As a child I loved the TV series Bewitched so was quite happy when it was announced there was to be a movie. And ok it won't be remembered for being a great movie..but it was very entertaining in a very light hearted way. Kidman pulled the nose wiggle off perfectly. Ferrell was great as the self-involved fading actor..Caine was excellent as the father. And the soundtrack was very cool..and of course this song had to be part of the movie eh? It's a wonderfully obvious choice..and one of my favourite songs..

A Bushel and a Peck ~ Doris Day
OK confession time..I haven't seen this movie...yet..although it is on our LoveFilm list. Friends I know who have seen it have enjoyed it. So no doubt I will too..but when checking out the OST I saw that Doris Day's song was listed..so I had to include it..especially as it was Nora Ephron's last movie.

So there we have it. A great collection of feel good movies..by the wonderful Nora Ephron...thank you for the smiles lady...

Tomorrow my guest host for the blog takes over..and he is slaving over the posting this evening..lol. Trustworthy is a good friend of mine from Brisbane Australia and is a committed vegan too..so it should be fun. lol. I know you folks will be gentle with him..lol

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a good one...mine will be cupcake scented..lol Chocolate at that!! lol

~R~