Tuesday 10 January 2012

Sweet Potato & Kasha Burgers and White Potato & Kasha Burgers (Salicylate Low Version)

Keeping Me Sane Play List:  Natalie Imbruglia ~ Big Mistake
                                                         Shakira ~ Fool
                                                         Whitesnake ~ Still of the Night
                                                         Slash ft Adam Levine ~ Gotten
                                                         Shakira ~ Underneath Your Clothes
                                                         The Eagles ~ How Long
                                                         Bobby McFerrin ~ Circle Song 6
                                                         Mark Ronson ft Lily Allen ~ Oh My God

Today is Mystery Ingredient Challenge day and this week the ingredient was Buckwheat Kasha. The fact that we found Buckwheat Kasha here in England was so exciting in itself as I have tried for years to find some..and I did, but it cost a small fortune. In the last few years in the towns and city closest to us we have had small communities of Polish people making a home. So the supermarkets have started to stock some of their homeland products and Kasha happened to be one of them. Thank you Polish folks..

So we picked up a box of the Buckwheat Kasha and a box of the Barley Kasha..and I was informed that the Buckwheat was my mystery ingredient this week. lol. But I was happy with that and began researching the uses of it. I found this burger recipe during a web search on Diet,DessertandDogs.com The blogger had adapted it from a recipe she had found in Nettie's Vegetarian Kitchen. And I've adapted the recipe again, as sweet potato is High in 'Sally' acids and so I rewrote a 'Sally' Low version. As I adore sweet potato, I shall be making both kinds.

Yes..you read that right. I 'shall' be making them at some point. Those of you who follow this blog will know that I have a health issue that frequently 'lays me low' and I have to abstain from kitchen work..which drives me completely insane..Urgh. This last week has been one of those times but today I was hoping to get back in there and get started. My mind is very willing...my body..is so not on board with this plan. I cannot wait to have my operation..lol.

Hopefully the burgers will get made tonight or Friday and so I will update this posting with the photos so you can see how lovely these burgers look. But I decided to post the recipes anyway...I also think that there is a lot of oil used in these recipes so will reduce the amounts greatly when I make them. I'll update the posting when I do...

Glorious Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato & Kasha Burgers Makes 8 large or 16 small patties
(Recipe found on Diets,DessertsandDogs.com)

1 1/2 cups dry buckwheat kasha
3 cups water or veggie broth
1 tsp sea salt or 1/4 tsp if using broth
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp toasted sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
2 large sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup almond butter or tahini
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 green spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce

Dry roast the kasha in a heavy skillet over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Add 3 cups of water/stock and salt, bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook over a low heat until the water/stock is absorbed and kasha is tender, about 15 minutes.

Cook the onion in 1 tbsp oil over a medium heat until softened. Add the celery and carrot, cook for another 5 minutes until softened.

Stir together kasha, vegetables including the potato, almond butter or tahini, basil, green onions and soy sauce until combined. Keeping hands moist, form into 8 large patties or 16 smaller patties. Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in large skillet over a med-high heat. Cook burgers for 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp on the outside.

Authors note: I baked half and fried half of these, just to see how they'd hold up in the oven. They worked just fine with both cooking methods, though the baked ones never acquired that crispy blackened exterior that the fried ones had. Still yummy though..Diets,DessertsandDogs.com

Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes
NB: This is my adapted version which is Salicylate Low..hopefully..I'm still new at this! lol

White Potato & Kasha Burgers makes 8 large or 16 small patties
(Recipe adapted by Red for the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen..from Diets,DessertsandDogs.com)

1 1/2 cups of dry buckwheat kasha
3 cups water
1 tsp sea salt
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
2 large white potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/4 cup cashew nut butter
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 green spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce (Free of spices..)


Dry roast the kasha in a heavy skillet over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Add 3 cups of water and salt, bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook over a low heat until the water is absorbed and kasha is tender, about 15 minutes.

Cook the onion in 1 tbsp oil over a medium heat until softened. Add the celery and carrot, cook for another 5 minutes until softened.

Stir together kasha, vegetables including the potato, cashew butter, parsley, green onions and soy sauce until combined. Keeping hands moist, form into 8 large patties or 16 smaller patties. Heat remaining 3 tbsp oil in large skillet over a med-high heat. Cook burgers for 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp on the outside.

Enjoy!
~R~