Wednesday 25 January 2012

Majulas Apple Crumb Pie

Kitchen Play List:  Extreme ~ More Then Words
                                      Madeleine Peyroux ~ A Little Bit
                                      Harry Connick.Jr ~ And I Love Her
                                      Harry Connick.Jr ~ And I Love You So
                                      The Gossip ~ Listen Up!
                                      Bowes & Morley ~ Don't Take Your Love Away
                                      Colbie Calliat ~ Fearless

NB: I made this dessert some time ago and I found it in the archives today...So as I'm still resting..I am without current recipes. (Insert many frustrated expletives here!) lol. It was a very tasty dessert and we all enjoyed it. Something a little different...that's always good, right? ~R~

I found this recipe from a search on the internet for Indian Dessert. I needed a recipe that wasn't full of sugar or could be converted easily as my friend S is a diabetic. He loves the occasional treat and I always try and find him something tasty but won't send his sugar levels up past the moon. It wasn't perfect but with a little tweaking it would be good enough. 

The results were a soft apple base with an almost flapjack topping. The smells as it baked were causing hunger pangs all over the place. lol. All who tried it loved it and I had to email the recipe to my friend S today. 

Bubbling hot straight out of the oven!
Mijulas Apple Crumb Pie
(Recipe from Mijulas Kitchen)

4 green Granny Smiths Apples peeled, cored and sliced
2 tbsp water
3/4 cup oatmeal (not Jumbo oats)
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/4 sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter ( I used Pure/Soya)

Pre-heat the oven to 375'F/190'C/Gas Mark 5 and have a pie dish ready to use. 

In a bowl mix together the oatmeal, walnut, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and butter. Rub in as though making a crumble. 

Peel and slice the apples and spread over the bottom of the pie dish, making sure they are even. 

Spread the oatmeal mixture over the apple slices and make sure it's even and the apples are covered. 

Put the pie dish on the centre shelf of your oven and bake for 20 minutes. 

Take it out of the oven and carefully tilt the plate a little and press a spoon down to get the juices running onto it. Spoon the juices up and over the crumb mix. Spooning the juices over the crumb mix will keep them moist and crunchy. (It does! lol)

Place it back into the oven and back for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Delish!

So good...there was no leftovers! What a surprise! lol
 
 Make this for yourselves...you're worth it! Enjoy!