Monday 18 April 2011

Very Tasty Vegan, Gluten Free and Yeast Free Pizzas

Kitchen Play List: Maroon 5 ~ Hands All Over Album


Oh how I wish I could take credit for this fantastic recipe...but I would never do that. And frustratingly I can't give the credit where it's due as I found it posted by Anon on a website. Seriously...Anon...take some credit for a really good creation! lol.

I'm not Gluten Free personally but I have friends who are and have been experimenting with them in mind. I actually have a 'flour' cupboard in my kitchen with nearly 20 different flours. And I have to say I'm enjoying the experiments and now include many gluten free recipes in our eating plan. Don't misunderstand me..there have been some truly horrific outcomes too! lol

As part of my cold salad buffet for my small birthday gathering I wanted to add a few things to 'pad it out'. The vegans were more than catered for in the plan and I suddenly had a thought that it would be nice to have some pizza on offer. But I wanted it to include the GF's not exclude them. So I set about researching gluten free vegan pizza bases...and then remembered one of my friends can't tolerate yeast either!! And out of desperation I added yeast free to my search and found many differing versions of this pizza base. I guess with each individual's spin added in. I had all the ingredients and decided to give it a shot.

The results were a very easy to make and tasty pizza base. OK it's not as bendy as traditional wheat based bases but its got a good texture and a good starting point for delicious quick pizzas. From start to finish I had these pizzas on the table in under 30 minutes. So quick. And personally I always prefer homemade 'rustic' pizzas to the ones from the frozen section of a supermarket or from an over priced pizza shop. They have their place but now I have this recipe...it's homemade from here on in lol.

Tomato and Basil Pizza
Tomato and Basil Pizza
(Base recipe created by Anon)
(Topping created by Rocket and Roses)

BASE
2 cups GF flour blend (I used Doves Farm Rice Flour Blend)
1 1/2 tsp of GF baking powder
1 tsp Xanthan gum or 1 1/2 tsp guar/gum
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp parsley
1 cup of water
2 tbsp olive oil

TOPPING
1/2 cup passata
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano


1/2 cup grated soya mozzarella
1/2 cup sliced fresh basil

Preheat your oven to 400'F/200'C/Gas mark 6 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. 


In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, herbs and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and the water and oil. Mix with a fork until all the ingredients are mixed and then push the dough together with your hands. Then place it onto the baking sheet and with your hands press it out and over the sheet. If it gets sticky sprinkle some flour over the dough. Keep going until you reach your desired thickness. Then place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. 


In a small bowl mix the passata, herb and garlic powder. (using garlic powder gives you a more evenly spread out taste and means no more salt be added but you could use fresh if that's your preference)


When the base has had it's initial baking time take it out of the oven and spread the passata mix evenly over the base and then sprinkle the cheese over the pizza. Drizzle very thinly with extra virgin olive oil but this is optional! Then return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more. 


When you take the pizza out of the oven sprinkle with the sliced basil and then serve....


Chilli Pizza


Chilli Pizza
(Base recipe 'based' on one posted by Anon)
(Topping created by Rocket and Roses)

BASE
2 cups of GF flour blend
1 1/2 tsp GF baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum or 1 1/2 tsp guar/gum
1 tsp salt
1/2 heaped tsp of dried chilli flakes
1 cup of water
2 tbsp olive oil   

TOPPING
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil


1/2 cup grated soya mozzarella
1 hot red chilli, deseeded, halved and sliced
1 hot green chilli, deseeded, halved and sliced

Chilli oil


Preheat your oven to 400'F/200'C/Gas mark 6 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. 


In a mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, chilli flakes and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and the water and oil. Mix with a fork until all the ingredients are mixed and then push the dough together with your hands. Then place it onto the baking sheet and with your hands press it out and over the sheet. If it gets sticky sprinkle some flour over the dough. Keep going until you reach your desired thickness. Then place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. 


In a small bowl add the tomato paste, water, garlic powder and olive oil and whisk until smooth and creamy. 


When the base has had its initial baking time remove it from the oven and spread the tomato paste mix over the pizza base. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the tomato and then evenly drop the chilli pieces over the pizza. Drizzle over a small amount of chilli oil...this is optional. 


Place back into the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve....


Hope you enjoy them as much as we all did....