Monday 25 April 2011

Grated Carrot Salad and Vinaigrette Potato Salad

We very rarely have dressings with our salads or a cooked cold salad. Daily we eat a large fresh salad with a 'topping' instead. Dressed salads are for high days and holidays, like my recent birthday celebration. The carrot salad is always very popular and is seriously tasty and the best part is that it's so simple to throw together. The potato salad is a relatively new salad to me, for years I hated regular potato salad, thinking I hated cold potatoes. Only to find out it wasn't the potatoes I hated it was the mayonaise they were covered in. So when I tried a Deli Potato Salad recipe which I made for My Love, I was shocked to find I actually loved it! Oh dear! lol. Then I started to experiment with all types of potato salad. Both of these recipes come from the wonderful Vegan Deli: Wholesome, Ethnic Fast Food by Joanne Stepaniak.


Grated Carrot Salad
(Recipe from Vegan Deli/J.Stepaniak)

1lb carrots, grated
1/4 cup/4tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh coriander or parsley (I use parsley)

Place the grated carrots in a bowl. Dress with the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Stir in the herb. Serve...so simple! lol 

 
Vinaigrette Potato Salad
(Recipe from Vegan Deli/J.Stepaniak)

6 med thin skinned potatoes (I use a 1lb bag of baby new potatoes)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I never use that much...1/4 cup/4tbsp)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tbsp dried tarragon
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
Several dashes of Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup minced red onion
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley

Cut the potatoes into cubes (if using baby new just halve), making about six cups. Steam until tender, then set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon, tahini,tarragon, mustard, salt, and hot pepper sauce to taste. Add the potatoes, onion, and parsley, and toss gently. Serve warm or thoroughly chilled.

Enjoy!