Thursday 28 April 2011

Veggie and Butterbean Dahl

As you will have picked up from my Twitter feed I am currently laid low with a nasty viral lurgy. And when that happens My Love takes over the kitchen duties for me and when the lurgy is at its worst My Love always throws together a Lentil Dahl and brown rice. It is spicy and comforting and is always appreciated when I feel dreadful. I would swear it's medicinal..lol.

The Dahl last night had veggies and butter beans..well mine did...I find great comfort in the lovely plump bean but My Love doesn't...so they are heated and then stirred into my share of the dahl at the end. lol. But however it's constructed...it is comforting, tasty and makes me feel a little better. 


Veggie & Butterbean Dhal

400g/14oz split red lentils
4 thin slices of fresh ginger
1 tsp tumeric
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
large pinch of chilli powder
2 medium onions, sliced
4 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
250g/8oz frozen peas
1 14oz tin of Butterbeans, rinsed and drained
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to season

In a large saucepan, combine the lentils, ginger, tumeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder with 2 litres of water and bring to a boil.

Add the veggies to the boiling lentil mixture. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approx 25 minutes until the mixture goes from loose to thick and porridge like.

Add the peas and the butterbeans and cook for approx 3 minutes then stir in the lemon juice and season to taste. Serve over brown rice...enjoy..I did..lol