Saturday 30 April 2011

Caper & Dill Coleslaw and Deli Potato Salad

As I am still laid low with the lurgy and as it's such a beautifully sunny weekend out there I thought I would post up two of my favourite salads for you. I know the blog has been heavy on the salads lately but as soon as I am fighting fit I shall be varying the recipes again. So please stay with me...lol. 

I like the coleslaw because the flavours are so different and as there is no onion in it, it's more mellow then the usual kind. I really enjoy it. The potato salad is the very salad that got me hooked on...well..potato salad! I had spent my whole life thinking I didn't like it...but no..I just didn't like mayo smothered potato salad! Who knew? lol Both recipes are from Joanne Stepaniak's wonderful Vegan Deli

Caper and Dill Coleslaw
(Recipe from Vegan Deli/J.Stephaniak)

3 cups of finely chopped or shredded green cabbage
1 cup of finely chopped or shredded red cabbage
2 medium carrots, grated
1/2 cup of vegan mayo 
2 tsp capers, drained
2 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp crushed garlic

Combine the cabbage and carrot in a large bowl, and toss together

Blitz the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Pour over the cabbage and carrots, and toss to thoroughly combine. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until needed. 

Deli Potato Salad
(Recipe from Vegan Deli/J.Stephaniak)

6 medium, red skinned potatoes
1 1/3 cups of Deli Dressing (recipe to follow)
2 - 3 tbsp finely minced or grated red onion
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp celery seeds
Salt and pepper
Paprika

Cut the potatoes into cubes or bite sized chunks, making about 6 cups. Steam until tender. Set aside to cool slightly. 

Combine the dressing, onion, vinegar, mustard, and celery seeds in a large glass or ceramic mixing bowl. Mix well. 

Add the cooked potatoes, salt, and pepper to the dressing, and toss gently. Chill thoroughly. Garnish with paprika just before serving. 

Deli Dressing Makes approx 1 1/2 cups

1 1/2 cups of mashed firm silken tofu
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup canola/sunflower oil

Place the tofu, lemon juice, salt, and dry mustard in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth and creamy. With the appliance still running, drizzle the oil in a slow, steady stream through the cap opening in the lid. Store in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week. 

Enjoy!    


Many apologies for the photos...I am on a learning curve and will do better...especially when my new shiny camera turns up! lol