Wednesday 6 April 2011

Spicy Roasted Baby Aubergines/Eggplants

Kitchen Play List: Jace Everett ~ That's The Kind of Love I'm In
                                    Meredith Brooks ~ Bitch 
                                    Whitesnake ~ Give Me All Your Love
                                    Rolling Stones ~ Start Me Up
                                    Thunder ~ A Better Man
                                    The Eagles ~ I Don't Wanna Hear Anymore

I recently found a shop that stocks Baby Aubergines/Eggplants  so whenever we are there, I fill a bag with them. They seem to keep really well in the fridge so I can safely stash them there and know that they are waiting for some new recipe I find or create to cook with them. This recipe I found on the BBC Good Food site and I chose it for its ease to put together. 

I am making them the day before they're needed so they can be simply heated through whilst the brown rice and veggies that I will serve with them cook. A simple supper.

Spicy Roasted Baby Aubergines/Eggplants
(Recipe from BBC Good Food website)

10-12 baby aubergines/eggplants, washed and halved lengthways
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed

Heat the oven to 190'C/170'C/Gas Mark 5.

Cut the flesh of the aubergines in a criss cross pattern but don't cut through the skin. 

Mix the olive oil with the remaining ingredients and season and stir until thoroughly combined. 

Place the aubergines into a large shallow baking dish cut sides up and then spoon over the marinade. 

Roast until meltingly tender approx 40-50 minutes. (Checked mine at 45 and they were perfect!) 

Serve over brown rice and some steamed veggies. 

Enjoy!