Friday 12 July 2013

Sweet Butter Bean Curry

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Don Henley ~ You Don't Know Me At All
Tina Dico ~ Back Where We Started
INXS ~ Deliver Me
Soundgarden ~ Tears to Forget
The Cult ~ She Sells Sanctuary
Crystal Gayle ~ You Almost Got Me Believing
Susan Cadogan ~ Hurt So Good
Rodrigo Y Gabriela ~ Juan Loco
Madison Avenue ~ Who The Hell Are You?
Slash ft Ian Astbury ~ Ghost
Missy Higgins ~ Secret
Johnny Cash ~ Hurt
Norah Jones ~ I've Got To See You Again
Shelby Lynne ~ Dreamsome

We were cooking it 'old school' last night and by that I mean we were making something from the veggie/vegan recipe vaults. The classic veg curry with brown rice. Now I spent years and years eating veggie curries of this style and I have to say I veg curried myself out and it took quite a few years before I could find my veggie curry love again. It wasn't that I didn't like them anymore but it was at the time when there really wasn't a lot of choice. I wasn't a fan of soya chunks so the other veggie options were out for me. So veggie curries were cooked for me by loved ones...it was what I ate when out for dinner...so it got a little much. Then I started to find my cooking love..through necessity..lol

These days with all the millions of  varied vegan recipes out there and constantly coming up with new ones of my own...I have started to enjoy an curry every now and then. But I do confess when confronted with veggie chilli's and veggie curries I do find myself thinking.. "..come on people it's not the 70's/80's now.." lol But hey...they maybe just got me on a cranky day! lol

Last nights curry was slightly unusual in that it was a fairly sweet curry. The natural sweetness comes from the tomatoes and the sweet potato so if you wanted to reduce that you could always try standard yellow/white potatoes. It is by no means a hot curry...its mild and tasty. A good starter curry for those strange folks who don't know how to use spices. Its a substantial meal when combined with the brown basmati rice. But then curry is almost always better the next day, eh? So enjoy the leftovers...

Sweet Butter Bean Curry serves over Brown Basmati Rice
Sweet Butter Bean Curry  Serves 4

2 tins of Butter Beans, rinsed and drained
5 fl oz water
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
450g/1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked into large chunks
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
125g/4oz/1 cup of frozen peas

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and garlic. Saute them for 5 minutes but don't allow them to brown, then add the spices and cook them for  1 minute before adding the tomatoes. Let them simmer together with the lid on the saucepan for 5 minutes. Then add the potatoes and stir well. Stir in the water, the salt and the bay leaves. Put a lid on the saucepan and leave to simmer until the potatoes are nearly cooked, then add the beans and the peas and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Serve with brown rice or a rice of your choice.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is filled with Retro fun too...

~Red~