Sunday 14 July 2013

Brunch: A Little Bowl a Bubble and Squeak

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Joan Jett ~ Long Time
Nickelback ~ Figured You Out
The Veronicas ~ Revenge Is Sweeter
Faith No More ~ Epic
No Doubt ~ Just A Girl
Creed ~ Wrong Way
The Doors ~ Your Little Lost Girl
VAST ~ Free
Shakira ~ Don't Bother
Beth Hart ~ By Her
Rob Thomas ~ Natural
Thunder ~ Stand Up (Live Acoustic)
Jack Johnson ~ Losing Keys
Garbage ~ Shut Your Mouth

Well we all know the saying...Don't run before your can walk, yeah? *nodding* Seems I forgot this yesterday. I escaped R&R HQ with ML, my sister, her fiancé and the little ones and we headed up the coast to Hornsea. We enjoyed an old fashioned day by the sea and after lunch we spent most of the afternoon on the beach. Watching ML and the little ones jumping over waves was joyful. We had a great time...but it is safe to say I began paying for it last night so today I am resting and being good. *insert expletives here folks* Lesson learnt...I promise. lol.

So this morning we needed a brunch that was minimal effort but packed with flavour and goodness. I felt like I was suffering from the worst hangover...so I craved one of those breakfasts/brunches that would satisfy the demands my body was making. We had some leftover steamed potatoes and cabbage and it was quickly decided...Lets go Retro again and have Bubble and Squeak!

Now I have to explain..we were so hungry that ML almost forgot to take photos so had to take last minute action shots. lol.

For the first time in a good year ML and I ate the same meal..well I say the same...mine was cooked with oil and had a great deal of pepper in it..whereas ML's was cooked in butter and had no seasonings...but hey...it was close.

My version was perfect for me with potatoes cut into chunks and not mashed, just crunchy steamed Sweetheart cabbage pieces and soft cooked onions...made perfect by heaps of freshly cracked black pepper. All sautéed together in a skillet...a delight to eat. I much prefer mine like this as opposed to the formed pattie version that is then shallow fried. Not being a fan of fried anything, eh?  We sat quite happily on the bed munching through my bowls of this classic dish. lol.

A Bowl a Bubble and Squeak
A Bowl a Bubble and Squeak  Serves 2
(Recipe from Easy Vegan Cooking/Leneman)

455g/1lb cabbage, cooked
455g/1lb potatoes, cooked
2 onions, chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
sea salt, season to personal pref
freshly cracked black pepper, season to personal pref

Chop the cooked potatoes and cabbage into small chunks. Set to one side.

Heat the oil in a good sized skillet and then sauté the onions until soft. Add the potatoes and stir well over a high heat until the potatoes and onions begin to brown. Then add the cabbage and keep stirring until everything is heated through. Season with salt and then generously season with black pepper. Serve.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday is a fantastic one...

~Red~