Sunday 14 October 2012

Sunday Brunch: Lettuce, Tomato & Sunflower Seed Smoked Tofu Sandwiches

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Tina Dico ~ Extended Play List on iPod

I love our trips to the city to see our friends..and that always means a chance to visit the wholefood shop Grain. Now for you folks in the States...please rid your mind of the image of the chain Wholefoods you are lucky enough to have there...no..Grain is tiny...more than 4 customers in the shop at once..and you are bumping elbows the entire time. lol. But we love it and I love the fact that they try and stock as many options as they can. Tofu being one of these items..now in the town I currently live in...if I am lucky I can pick up plain firm tofu. Yep..that's it. Wehoo, eh? Now I can do a lot of things with this very basic of tofu options but sometimes it's nice to..not have to do something with it. Don't you think? lol.

So back in...oh...erm..May during a trip around their shelves and fridges I found a little packet of heaven from Taifun. Smoked Tofu with sunflower seeds...and good to go the moment you opened the packet. In my fridge I usually have something like this...for mornings like this...when I want something different to my usual muesli or oat based breakfasts.

I had two County style Wholemeal rolls left from the week and a perfectly ripe tomato and a fresh lettuce..and the very simple Vegan TLT came to mind..yep..Tofu, Lettuce & Tomato. lol. Now I know I couldn't achieve this with the standard unmarinated tofu...I like tofu but eating it in it's white, cold form is not a place I ever think I'll visit. lol. But this smoked tofu was soon opened and sliced length ways and placed into a heated skillet until it browned. The tomato was so perfectly ripe it oozed juice and was the deepest red in colour. (And just in case you are a regular reader..yes..I did this. I managed about 10 minutes in the kitchen...wehoo!) The lettuce was perfectly crisp and lush.

Vegan TLT...Lettuce, tomato and Almond & Sesame Seed Smoked Tofu Sandwich

Lettuce, Tomato & Almond & Sesame Seed Smoked Tofu
Sandwiches Serve 2

2 bread rolls of your choice
2 slices of iceberg lettuce
6 slices of tomato
2 slices of Smoked Tofu
1 tsp sunflower oil

In a skillet heat the oil and then place the tofu slices. Cut open the bread rolls and place the lettuce on the bottom half. Top with two slices of the tomato and then wait patiently for the tofu to cook. Approx 4-5 minutes on each side. Then place the tofu slices on top of the lettuce and tomato and top with the final slices of tomato and the top half the the bread roll.
And enjoy...

Obviously you can use whatever tofu you like but I found the smokiness of this particular one brought something else to the sandwich.

And here is the little beauty...so tasty.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you are having a very relaxed Sunday with all the things that make you smile....

~R~