Saturday 5 November 2011

Scalloped Herbed Potatoes

Kitchen Play List: Audioslave ~ Revelations Album

Potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. Love em. But I do get a little tired of them..steamed or baked. Very occasionally I miss a dish I used to cook back in my vegetarian days..Cheese, Onion and Potato Layer. A comforting blend of sliced onions and potatoes smothered in grated cheese with milk and freshly cracked black pepper. Drool-fest. lol. 

I haven't tried making a vegan version because I don't think the soya cheese could replicate the dairy..well..goo...once the potato, onion, milk and cheese had cooked and mulched down. But I do miss it. I'm not the biggest cream fan either so creamy mash doesn't do it for me either or dauphinois and other cream based potato dishes. But the layer...ah...I miss that dish..lol. 


Last year we made a decision to restrict our starchy veg consumption so the little starch we did each was used up by brown rice, wholewheat pasta, bulgar and very occasionally cooked potatoes. And it worked for us. Recently we put ourselves on a detox and were able to eat more root veggies than we have for a long time. And this being the case I was able to try out this recipe. I had some leftover Thanksgiving Loaf and wanted to make a side dish to go with our usual steamed side veggies. I found this during a Google search on www.yumsugar.com. Their photos were definitely drool worthy! lol. So I printed off the recipe and got started. Only to find that I had this recipe all along as it's from Isa & Terry's Veganomicon


I adapted the directions a little..well..a lot actually so below is my way of layering the potatoes and herbs etc. And also I gave it the full cooking time plus 10 minutes longer as my potatoes just needed that bit longer. 


The results were so good. The potatoes were tender and the herbs and garlic hit just the right amount and then the hit of spice with the paprika, all made this into a delicious side dish and went really well with the leftovers and steamed veggies. Lovely! With this recipe I will no longer miss the Layer of old! lol. Thanks to Yumsugar and Isa & Terry. 

I don't really care where this recipe came from..I'm just pleased it exists! lol Delicious Scalloped Herbed Potatoes
Scalloped Herbs Potatoes 
(Recipe found on Yumsugar.com but is actually from Veganomican/Moskowitz&Romero lol)

2 lb white potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1/8" slices
3/4 cup veggie stock
1/2 cup unsweetened soya milk
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed, separated
3 tbsp nutritional yeast 
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp rosemary (I didn't use this..Yuck! lol) 
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 salt
Several pinches of black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400'F/200'C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease a baking dish. In a little pot mix the herbs, paprika and salt. Have three little piles of garlic ready to go. 

Overlapping slightly, cover the bottom of the baking dish with potato slices. Taking on of the piles of garlic rub this over the potato slices. Then sprinkle over with a third of the herb mix, followed by a tbsp of the Nutritional Yeast and repeat this layering. Gently pour over most of the stock followed by the soya milk. Then add the final layer of potatoes and pour the remaining stock over and drizzle the oil over. Sprinkle with the remaining herb mix and the last tbsp of nutritional yeast. Season well with freshly ground black pepper. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes to crisp up the top layer of potatoes. 

This is where I needed to loosely recover with the foil and put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes. Then it was perfect. ~R~ 

Hot out of the oven..bubbly, delicious and toasty...we were happy! lol
Enjoy! We sure did..
~R~