Wednesday 9 November 2011

Curried Vegetable Kebabs with Naan or Chapatis

Kitchen Play List: Bryan Adams ~ Anthology Album Disc 1

You ask and I deliver..lol. Oh how I really suffer for this blog sometimes! lol. On Saturday we hosted a Bonfire night here at R&R HQ/England and we had a vegan BBQ to enjoy and this recipe is the most popular from that evening. I made a rookie mistake on the Saturday and told everyone the food was ready before I had the chance to take photos..and if I'm honest I'm pleased this one was requested. It's so good..why wouldn't I want to share it with you.  

When I cooked it today I changed the method slightly and obviously I wasn't firing up BBQ so I have cooked them in a very hot oven. (My grill isn't so good...unless you want to grill things over a period of days! lol) Another change I made was the way the 'baste' is put on. I found the brushing on of the baste an irritatingly long process. So below is the recipe and my method that I have used today. Which is easier and doesn't effect the taste in any way. 

For the photos I have used vegan Naan and Chapatis but I do intend cooking these again very soon and trying out a Gluten Free Flatbread recipe I have found. So it goes without saying..these would work with GF Naan, Chapatis or Flatbread. I will post up the Flatbread when I make it. 


I found the original recipe in an old cookbook by Sue Ashworth - The Vegetarian Barbecue (Step-by-step)


Curried Vegetable Kebabs with Naan or Chapati
Curried Vegetables with Naan or Chapatis Serves 4 
(Recipe from Vegetarian Barbecues/Ashworth)

4 metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden ones in water for 30 mins first)

Yoghurt Baste:
150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup natural soya yoghurt
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chilli powder 
1/4 tsp tumeric 
1/4 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to season

Kebabs:
8 small new potatoes
1 small aubergine
1 courgette, cut into slices
8 chestnut mushrooms or closed cup mushrooms
8 small tomatoes
naan or chapatis to serve

To make the yoghurt baste, mix together the yoghurt, mint, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, tumeric and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Cover until veggies are chopped. 

Boil the potatoes until just tender and drain. In a large bowl add the potatoes, chopped aubergine, sliced courgettes, tomatoes and mushrooms. Pour the baste over the vegetables and stir gently until the veggies are fully coated. Cover and chill until ready to cook. 


Either heat the oven to 425'F/220'C/Gas Mark 7 or fire up the barbie. Skewer the veggies, then place the kebabs onto a wire rack and cook first on one side for 15 minutes and then carefully turn them and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Checking regularly to make sure they don't charcoal! lol. 

Courgette and Aubergine should be juicy when poked with a knife..not too tender..or they will fall off! lol
Heat the Naan or Chapatis and serve the kebabs sat in the bread of choice. Garnish with some fresh mint leaves. 


The baste should be slightly charred and flavoursome..the potatoes..Drool! lol
I hope you try these as they are worth it! 

Enjoy! 
~R~