Saturday 19 November 2011

Birthday Indulgence ~ Vanilla Cake with Lemon Curd filling..and some stars..

Kitchen Play List: Tango & Mambo Caliente Album 

It is My Love's birthday this weekend and it will be the last one without food restrictions. So I am willing to spoil with Birthday Cup Cakes filled with all My Loves favourite ingredients like molasses, crystalised ginger, cloves, cinnamon and many of the other foods and spices that will be strictly off limits soon. But they are tomorrows posting! lol. I know..what a tease..lol.

Vanilla Cake with Lemon Curd and Star Sprinkles and Twirly Candle lol
Today's is another item on the 'hit' list..lemon peel. So I made a huge vanilla sponge and made some lemon curd to use as a filling and topping. It smelt so good whilst I was stood at the stove stirring patiently. I know..me? Thankfully it wasn't a lengthy process to get this lemon curd. It's not my usual recipe as I have lost my copy so it's one I quickly threw together and if I'm honest it could've been a little more yellow but as a filling it's just fine. I also scattered some little sugar stars over the top of the cake..well..just because they looked cute. lol. Why not? 

Yellow, Purple and White Star sprinkles top the thin layer of lemon curd on the top of the cake.
I know these recipes are all heavy on sugar and wheat but it's not something I do regularly...it's a birthday...and it's a treat. This weekend is not about healthy cooking..lol. 

As usual I used the E-Mans vanilla sponge recipe as it's such a good vanilla sponge and always works. For the recipe go to my Recipe Index and click on Vanilla Sponge Cake. 

Quick Vegan Lemon Curd Makes approx 1 cup

3 tbsp cornstarch
6-8 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
dash of soya milk


In a small saucepan add the lemon juice, zest, water and sugar and stir well to combine. 


In a small bowl place the cornstarch and add enough water to mix it to a smooth paste. Then add to the saucepan. Stir well to combine the ingredients. And heat through over a med heat. Stir frequently to make sure there is no burning. When the sauce starts to thicken, stir constantly until it begins to boil. Add the milk and then keep stirring for one more minute and then give it a final good stir. Take the pan off of the heat and leave it to cool. It will thicken a lot as it cools. 


Use as required..as a filling, sandwich filling, on toast...or in good old fashioned Lemon Curd Tartlets. 


We really enjoyed this cake and so did everyone who had a piece. Aren't birthdays fun?..lol.

Enjoy!
~R~