Saturday 26 November 2011

Lentil & Parsnip Soup

Kitchen Play List: Gilbert O'Sullivan ~ What's In A Kiss?
                                     Dido ~ I'm No Angel
                                     Sara San'Ambrogio ~ Libertango 
                                     Guns & Roses ~ Sweet Child of Mine
                                     Chris Cornell ~ You Know My Name
                                     Enrique ~ Love to See You Cry
                                     Frank Sinatra ~ Night & Day

Go figure! Sometimes I look at a recipe and I can tell exactly what it's going to look like when it's finished. At first glance I pictured a thick smooth soup...then when I started to make this soup I realised it was actually very Asian inspired and it turned out to be a brothy base with lentils and veggies. Hence the asian bowls I photographed it in. lol. It was a very pleasant surprise as I had made two parsnip soups at the weekend that were smooth and creamy.

This recipe is from a cook book I bought years ago because...well...I'm a huge fan of Lindsay Wagner...yes the Bionic Woman! lol. Have been since I was a small child. So when I found out that she was also a vegan and had published a cookbook with her friend Ariana Spade..well I was on Amazon sharpish! lol. And they had a copy...the book being The High Road to Health

The broth is savoury due to the soy sauce, veggie stock and bayleaf. The veggies bring two extra layers of taste...firstly more savoury and then a hit of sweetness from the parsnip and carrot. It's almost a sweet and sour soup...almost. But it's a great soup with great flavours and a great change from the usual..but also excellent...smooth and creamy parsnip soups. 

Lentil Parsnip Soup ~ Parsnip Soup with a difference!
Lentil & Parnsip Soup
(Recipe from The High Road to Health/Wagner&Spade)

6 cups of water or veggie stock
1 cup of lentils (I used Continental ~R~)
3 tbsp natural low sodium soy sauce
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oil of choice
1/2 onion, chopped
1 leek, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 parsnip, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 tbsp chopped parsley
dash of ground cloves

In a very large soup pot place the water or stock, lentils, soy sauce, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and cook until the lentils are almost tender. (The timing on this will depend on your selection of lentils! ~R~)

In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the leek, garlic, celery, parsley, parsnip, carrots and cloves. Mix well, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. 

Add the skillet mixture to the lentils and cook for 30 minutes. (Or until the lentils are tender and the veggies cooked! ~R~)  Add 1/2 to 1 cup of boiling water to the soup if it becomes too thick. 

Remove the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy! 

~R~