Sunday 20 November 2011

Gingerbread Cup Cakes with Lemon Icing

Kitchen Play List: Nickelback ~ Dark Horse Album

Today is My Love's birthday..the grand old age of 41..lol..I can laugh because I'm not quite 40..yet..but it's coming up quicker than I care to admit. My Love chose this as 'the official birthday cake' for this year. It's the last time I will be able to make these as they are on the Salicylate hit list. Not a great loss to me as I'm not the biggest crystalised ginger fan but My Love is and is devastated at this loss. Shame, eh? We are celebrating by meeting some of our friends in the city and having brunch so My Love can indulge in a large Kipper brunch. (Hey..I think that's gross too..but it's not my birthday..I shall enjoy my Berry Smoothie as I suffer in silence..lol) 

Gingerbread Cup Cakes with Lemon Frosting and Lemon Zest
This recipe was one of the first cup cake recipes I ever made. It is from Isa and Terry's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. A very excellent baking book. I made them for My Love's birthday that year too. And if molasses, maple, ginger and spices are your idea of heaven as it is My Love's..you should really try this recipe. It's easy to make...unless you are like me and end up wearing more molasses then you use for the recipe! lol I usually top them with the Lemon Buttercream Frosting as suggested in the book but as I couldn't guarantee keeping them cool as we are out on our travels today, I made a simple Lemon Water Icing and drizzled it over the cup cakes and sprinkled with a little lemon zest. 

A gratuitous close up shot..lol
Gingerbread Cupcakes Makes 12 cupcakes
(Recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World/Moskowitz/Romero)

1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup soya milk
2 tbsp soya yoghurt
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
1/4 cup finely chopped crystalised ginger, finely chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 350'F/180'C/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners. 

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt into a bowl and mix. 

Whisk the oil, molasses, maple syrup, soya milk, yoghurt, and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Fold in the chopped crystalised ginger. 

Fill the cupcake liners two thirds full. Bake for 19-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean..(Usually 22 minutes ~R~) Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting. 

Lemon Water Icing

1 cup Icing sugar, approx
3 tsp Lemon juice, approx
water as needed

Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and then add water as required to make the required consistency. Fill a small food bag with the icing and push down to one corner and snip off the corner and drizzle over the cup cakes in desired patterns. Have fun! lol. 

Sprinkle over with a little lemon zest if desired and then try and keep everyone away from them until party time. lol. 

Enjoy..My Love will! 
~R~