Saturday 9 November 2013

Stacy's Broccoli & Walnut Pesto with GF Tricolour Pasta

Rocket & Roses Play List:

Thirty Odd Foot Of Grunts ~ Judas Cart
The Who ~ Substitute
Joan Jett ~Naked
Diana Krall ~ Cry Me A River
Dani Wilde ~ How Do You Do It
Roy Orbison ~ I Drove All Night
Shakira ~ Why Wait
Tina Dico ~ Poetess' Play
Holly Williams ~ Giving Up
Joan Jett ~ Tush
Joan Jett ~ Everyone Knows
Evanescence ~ Whisper
The Fratellis ~ Henrietta
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band ~ Spank

Yesterday was my sisters wedding and what a fantastic day it was. She looked stunning and her hubby was truly breathless when she walked in. It was a day to catch up with family and enjoy some food and drinks...and dancing if you were able (you lucky buggers!..) It was everything a wedding should be...and I was even pleasantly surprised by some family members..who freaking knew? lol.

So the caterer for the wedding seemed to be blown away by the thought of catering for me and ML. My being vegan and ML well allergic to everything....so we offered to just make our own food. ML enjoyed goats cheese toasts (eww!) and I made this salad. I used GF Brown Rice Tricolour Fusilli pasta which works really well for cold pasta salads. I had found Stacy's recipe via Pinterest and please visit here for her original recipe. I adapted mine very slightly for the situation I was in.

This pesto is delicious but then I am a broccoli addict and love walnuts...lol It was a great texture, good wholesome taste and sustained me through out the afternoon and evening. OK..so I had to have some GF toast when we got home. lol. But that was many hours later....many.

Stacy's Broccoli & Walnut Pesto with GF Tricolour Pasta

Stacy's Broccoli & Walnut Pesto Serves 4
(Original recipe from Center Stage Wellness)

12oz pasta shapes of your choice
1lb (about 4 cops) broccoli 
1/3 cup (about 2oz) walnut halves or pieces
1 lemon zest and juice 
1 1/2 tbsp garlic olive oil
1 tsp miso paste (optional)

Chop broc into florets and slice thick stems and steamed them for several minutes. Cook the pasta as per package instructions and when cooked run under the cold tap to bring the temp down.

Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Combine walnuts, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Pulse until uniform and then as miso. Add broccoli to the blender bowl and process until smooth and add pasta water until smooth. Add to hot or cold pasta. Dress with freshly parsley leaves and/or whole walnuts.

Gratuitous Close Up Shot

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and by the time you read this I will be making the 6-8 hour roadtrip down to Cornwall. 

~Red~