Tuesday 12 November 2013

D.K's Shanghai-Style Noodles with Green Onion Sauce

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

The Eagles ~ The Long Run
Tom Baxter ~ Skybound
Gary Moore ~ Separate Ways
Joan Jett ~ A.C.D.C
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ The Sky Is Crying (Live)
Adele ~ Rumour Has It
The Smiths ~ Panic
Little Angels ~ I Was Not Wrong
The Cranberries ~ Still Can't...
Thunder ~ You Can't Keep A Good Man Down
Terrorvision ~ Still The Rhythm
Train ~ Mermaid
Gina Sicilia ~ Once In A While
Clawfinger ~ I Need You

Yesterday I managed a walk into St Ives, Cornwall and a slow pootle along the sea front and the little town. I nearly had to crawl back to the car but I did it. I am in a world of pain now...but I care not! The weather was wet, blustery and the sea was dramatic as the waves crashed into the sand...awesome!! The sound was amazing but I could've done without the seagulls scaring the life from me..lol. Today it's the Tate Art Gallery and I can't wait...

As I knew that I'd be shattered from our adventures I chose a recipe from the holiday cookbook Donna Klein's A Chinese Vegan Kitchen that would be quick and easy to make. And these noodles looked perfect for this remit...I had some Brown Rice Udon Noodles in my stocks box and a stash of spring onions in the fridge...perfect! It was meant to be...lol. The noodles are eaten at room temperature and so I steamed off some mangetout, sugarsnaps, carrots and baby corns to have on the side. 

This recipe is ridiculously easy to make even if you have to cook off your noodles at the same time. I could be tempted to have some chilled noodles in my fridge from now on just for this recipe. Once you have trimmed the spring onions and sliced them...its a matter of moments before you have a stash of tasty noodles and sauce. Seriously...it's that easy...I promise. 

The results were so good that if I was at home I would be rounding up all the takeout menus that we have stashed for 'those days' and throwing them in the bin. Why? Because this dish is savoury heaven for me...with one exception...I only used a third of the oil suggested as I have my oil issues and it was still too oily for me but that is purely my personal preference. So be aware of this if you have a similar issue. But the savoury mix of the cooked spring onion greens with the simple soy sauce accompaniment with the noodles was perfect. And the lightly steamed/still crunchy veggies on the side complemented the noodles impeccably.  Once again..a stunning meal and such a simple one at that. Try it, try it...TRY IT! lol. 

Shanghai-Style Noodles with Green Onion Sauce

Shanghai-Style Noodles with Green Onion Sauce  Serves 4 
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein) 

1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil
1 bunch of scallions/spring onions (6-8), green parts only, thinly sliced lengthwise,
cut crosswise into very thin 2" long strips
3 1/2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (I used wheat free) plus additional to serve
8 oz egg free chinese low-mein or other wide cut asian noodles or linguine

In a wok or large non stick skillet heat the oil over a med-high heat. Add the scallion greens and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to wilt and bright green..about 30 seconds. Add 3 tbsp soy sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until scallions are wilted but not shrivelled, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large serving bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature. 

In a large stockpot filled with boiling salted water, cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool. Drain well. Add noodles and remain soy sauce to the cooled scallion mixture, tossing well to thoroughly combine. Serve at room temperature...

Enjoy! 

View from the car park before I set off on my adventures..the sound was amazing..and I would love to live in that house on the cliff...lol 
 

Just sharing a couple of the snaps from yesterdays adventures....

Down on the beach...natural beauty...

Thanks for stopping by and I really hope your Tuesday has been very good for you...mine has..

~Red~