Sunday 24 November 2013

D.K's Chinese Brown Rice Salad with Snow Peas (Mangetout) and Corn

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

VAST ~ Everything Passes By
The Stranglers ~ 86 Tears
Evanescence ~ Haunted
Chris Cornell ~ Disappearing One
Crosby/Armstrong ~ Now You Has Jazz
Whitesnake ~ Here I Go Again
Melissa Etheridge ~ Secret Agent
Thunder ~ Stand Up! (Live and Acoustic)
Slash ft Myles Kenneday ~ Starlight
Newton Faulkner ~ Gone In The Morning
Audioslave ~ Yesterday to Tomorrow
VAST ~ Until I Die
Chely Wright ~ Hang Out In Your Heart
Them Crooked Vultures ~ Spinning In Daffodils

Friday I made two new salads..one being the very awesome Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado Dressing and the second being one from my recent holiday cookbook Donna Kleins A Chinese Vegan Kitchen. Now I chose this salad because I had recently picked up some purple mangetout or snow peas, depending on where you live, and I had never seen or heard of them before. I was a little excited..lol Sad, isn't it? lol. And this recipe seemed like a great fit for what I was looking for...

I found this salad to be fresh in it's flavours and texture. The dressing reduces to a very mellow flavour. I was a little concerned that it would be too acidic for my palate but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed a good amount of this as a cold salad but then became curious what it would be like as a warm salad. Heating it very briefly so that the mangetout, celery and peppers still had some crunch but enough to heat the rice...I was really surprised by the change in this dish. It seemed to intensify the flavours and I devoured the results from the experiment. And it was a welcome warmth on this cold Sunday evening.

Chinese Brown Rice Salad with Snow Peas (Mangetout) and Corn


Chinese Brown Rice Salad with Snow Peas (Mangetout) and Corn  Serves 4 
(Original recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)

1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp toasted dark sesame oil
1 tsp sugar 
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups cooked brown rice, slightly warm or at room temp
4 oz snow peas/mangetout, trimmed and sliced diagonally
3 spring onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1/2 cup of cooked and cooled fresh or frozen yellow corn kernels
1/2 a medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander/cilantro or flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds or slivered almonds

In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients, tossing well to thoroughly combine, let stand for about 15 minutes at room temp to allow the flavours to blend. Toss again and serve at room temp. Salad came be refrigerated, covered up to 24 hours before returning to room temp and serving. 

My little bundle of purple joy! lol
  
Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday has been as glorious as mine...

~Red~

Many thanks to Donna Klein for creating such a great cook book...respect.