Friday 22 November 2013

Livvy's Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

The Dead Daisies ~ The Dead Daisies Album 

So picture the scene...I am stood in my sub-zero kitchen at the counter, wearing my new fake-fleece lined black pixies boots (I will never go over to the slipper side! Ever!)..wearing shorts and a light cotton tunic because my skin is burning because of my illness...but shivering because its bloody November and the homestead resembles a morgue. And I am singing away to the music on my phone and ignoring the black spots messing up my sight in that moment...and I'm making salads...in November. lol. Yep..salads..one of the cold nature and the second being a warm one. If it helps I am roasting parsnips to make into a test recipe soup so it all smells a little Christmasy too...lol 

I found this salad recipe via Pinterest and being the chickpea whore addict I am I knew it would be made as soon as I was physically able. For the original recipe please follow this link to Livvy's 86Lemons website. I take no credit for this creation and it is all the hard work of Livvy. But I am thankful to her for creating it...

The salad is easy to make and smells really good as you blitz up the dressing and toast off the chickpeas and spices. And the results are one hell of a great protein packed salad which fills you up but doesn't weigh you down. I loved the wholesome taste of the chickpeas and cashew nuts..and all the toastiness. The fresh texture of the edamame beans and crisp apple worked alongside really well and the dressing was so creamy and had the perfect amount of citrus zing. I was very happy eating some as my lunch today...and have plenty of leftovers for the weekend. It was so good....

Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing

Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing   Serves 4
(Original recipe from 86Lemons.com by Livvy)

Dressing ingredients

1 large avocado, skin removed
1 nub of ginger root, 1/2 - 1 " piece
1 shallot
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp apple cyder vinegar
1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Salad ingredients

1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cayenne
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup raw cashews
10 oz shelled edamame, cooked
1 1/2 cups of chopped apples, about 2 small
salt and pepper to taste 
1 tbsp chopped/torn fresh basil 

Prepare dressing by placing ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. (This will make more than you need, but it can be difficult for some blenders to blend small quantities) 

If you haven't cooked the edamame yet...do that now! 

Heat a cast iron skillet over a high heat. Add chickpeas and allow them to toast for about 5-8 minutes, or until they start to brown. Drizzle olive oil over the chickpeas, add salt, cumin, cayenne and ginger. Stir to coat. Add cashews and stir together; continue to cook mixture over a medium high heat. Until cashews begin to lightly brown. 

Add the chickpea/cashew mixture, edamame and apples to a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 3 tbsp of avocado-lime dressing. Toss to coat. For a creamier salad, add more dressing. Garnish with chopped basil and serve warm. 

Edamame-Chickpea Power Salad with Avocado-Lime Dressing

Enjoy!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday has been a great one...warmer than mine hopefully...lol. 

~Red~