Saturday 16 November 2013

D.K's Sesame Broccoli Stem and Scallion/Spring Onion Salad

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

Thunder ~ She's Like Ice
Prince ~ Kiss
Whitesnake ~ Give Me All Your Love
Stone Temple Pilot ~ Wicked Garden
Rascal Flatts ~ Feels Like Today
Jessie Ware ~ Wildest Moments (Acoustic)
KORN ~ Chaos Lives In Everything 
Caro Emerald ~ I Belong To You
Doris Day ~ Sentimental Journey
Siouxsie & The Banshees ~ The Killing Jar
Del Amitri ~ Driving With The Brakes On
K.D Lang ~ Simple
Sting ~ Desert Rose
VAST ~ One More Day

In England you can't buy bags of Broccoli slaw yet. I'm sure it'll happen eventually..say in about 10 years time. But I have been taking an interest in the many varied recipes for Broccoli slaws that have been blitzing the web. I am a self confessed broccoli addict and when I eat it I usually steam both the florets and the stem so very rarely have stems leftover to try and slaw them. But when making the recipe selections for this years holiday cookbook I saw this and thought the time is now...the cook book being Donna Klein's A Chinese Vegan Kitchen.

So I saved up four stems and then got grating. Now being away on holiday made this a longer job than normal...at home I would break out the processor and let that lovely do the work but here it was a rather sorry old hand held grater. I like to call it...going retro. So after losing two fingernails and skinning a knuckle I had a bowl of broccoli slaw. lol. (Don't worry they didn't make it into the finished salad..lol Eww!) After this gauntlet, the salad came together easily and before I knew it I was stood in the living area shaking my salad box again. (Holiday kitchen is basically a hole in a wall..) The salad starts off looking fresh but once the dressing is added it makes it..well...beige! lol. But what it lacks in appearance it makes up for in taste. It's not a salad I will make often but I certainly enjoyed it. 

Sesame Broccoli Stem and Scallion/Spring Onion Salad

Sesame Broccoli Stem and Scallion/Spring Onion Salad   Serves 4-6
(Recipe from The Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)

12oz broccoli slaw
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp dark toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1/2 tbsp plain rice vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 scallions, mostly green parts, cut into very think 2" lengths
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (I used black sesame)

In a medium stock pot filled with boiling salted water blanch the broccoli slaw. Drain in a colander then rinse under cold running water until cooled. In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oil, sugar, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Let stand a few minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve; whisk again. Add the broccoli slaw, scallions and sesame seeds, tossing well to thoroughly combine. Let stand for 15 minutes at room temp to allow the flavours to blend, tossing a few times. Serve at room temp. Alternatively cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours and serve chilled or return to room temp. 

Enjoy! 

And one final holiday snap.....I literally went to the end of England and nearly got blown off the edge...seriously...I kid you not! It was bloody freezing but worth it...

Lands End, England.
 
Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Saturday has been a great one. Mine will be spent packing up the car...visiting Stone Henge and then travelling to stay with family overnight before the last part of the journey home. 

~Red~ 

One final but huge thank you to Donna Klein for an interesting cook book and great recipes...respect as always.