Wednesday 13 November 2013

D.K's Steamed Broccoli with Brown Sauce and Glazed 5 Spiced Carrots

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

Portishead ~ Glory Box
Martina McBride ~ Independence Day
Kid Rock ~ Cowboy
Louis Armstrong ~ La Vie En Rose
Buble ~ Mack The Knife
Maroon 5 ~ I Can't Lie
Melissa Etheridge ~ Imagine That
Janiva Magness ~ Find A Fool
Bizet: Les Pecheurs Des Perles - Au Fond Du Temple Saint
P!nk ~ Funhouse
Morley & Taylor ~ Sleeping With The Past
Tina Dico ~ Boys and Girls
Sam Cooke ~ Baby Won't Please Come Home
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band ~ Show Me The Way Back Home

I had a glorious day yesterday...I was greeted by the sound of the crashing waves and the bright sunshine as I woke. I love it here. Here being the county of Cornwall..the place name...well that's not really that special..but it is safe to say that ML has continued the tradition of taking me to places with a grim name. We are currently staying in Phillack...doesn't it sound like a noise you make when you are coughing up phlegm??? lol. But I can forgive it its name because it is so very beautiful and I feel the healing happening each time I venture out onto the balcony and if I'm honest, every time I hear or look at the waves.

We visited the Tate Gallery today and also the Barbara Hepworth Sculpture Garden and I managed some more walking about. Woo! The Sculpture garden was very interesting and I will blog about that soon as I have many photos to share with you folks. The Tate was beautiful in design but sadly an exhibition that held little interest for me. However I did soak up the atmosphere and take in the creative talents that filled the galleries. We had a lovely lunch in the cafe there and was delighted to find their Carrot & Parsnip Soup with Granary Bread was all vegan and I also ordered a Rocket Salad on the side. It was all very tasty and I enjoyed my lunch but it was the tea I ordered that will stay with me. I ordered Mint Tea expecting the usual bagged variety and when I poured my first cup the smell that hit my senses was a delight. In the infuser centre was chopped fresh mint leaves...it was so good! Why don't I just make my own...because I never get it as good as this offering. Yum! We then pootled around Hayle for a little while until my batteries wore out..lol. Stopping off at Johnny's Wholefood Cafe and Shop...for a quick Blackcurrant Tea and vegan Gingerbread...slab! I swear I ordered a slice and almost an entire loaf turned up at my table. I brought it away with me...I was overwhelmed by it. lol.

So today's recipes from my selected holiday cookbook, Donna Klein's A Chinese Vegan Kitchen, are two side dishes. One being a broccoli dish, stop groaning I am a broccoli addict and you know it, which an old room mate of mine used to eat all the time but it wasn't vegan so I had to just watch. And the second dish was chosen because I love 5 Spice and glazed carrots are something I've never eaten before. They were also quick to make recipes as I knew I'd be wiped out from the days adventures so after a rest I got cracking.

Both recipes were easy to make as long as you can juggle stirring which I can lol. The Broccoli dish was pleasantly tasty...the broccoli flavour is always good in my opinion but I can see the desire to add this sauce. It's a has the tiniest kick but even someone who likes mild chilli would be ok with this heat. I used the basic amount of flakes this time but could see me upping it at some point for a change. It works well drizzled over the broccoli and does give it a lift. An every now and then sauce for me.

The carrots...well..again very simple to make. The 5 Spice filled the apartment with it's usual enticing effect and my mouth was watering the entire time. The finished dish was aromatic and succulent and each morsel of carrot practically melted on your tongue. Goodness me they were so good but I will be strong and make them as a special occasion dish only...too much glazing is not a good thing. lol. Again...you have to try these for yourself...

Please excuse the dark photo I had almost run out of natural light and had to play on the balcony with the strong wind fighting with me to get this shot..lol. Things I do for this blog...lol.

D.K's Steamed Broccoli with Brown Sauce and Glazed 5 Spiced Carrots

Steamed Broccoli with Brown Sauce  Serves 4
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)

1/2 tsp salt 
1 1/4 lb fresh broccoli florets
1 tsp toasted dark sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large non stick skillet bring about 1/4" of water to a boil over a high heat. Add salt and broccoli florets, cover and reduce heat to a medium and steam until broccoli is crisp tender, 4-5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Add sesame oil and season with pepper, toss well to combine. Add brown sauce and toss to combine and serve at once. 

Or steam without the salt like I did mine, using a regular steamer etc. (R)

Basic Chinese Brown Sauce  Makes 1 cup  
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)
 
1 cup of reduced sodium veggie stock 
1 tbsp of reduced sodium soy sauce 
1 tbsp of cornstarch 
1 large clove of garlic finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 or to taste of crushed red chilli flakes
1 tbsp molasses or dark brown sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes until thoroughly blended. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat, stirring often; cook stirring constantly, until thickened. Reduce heat to low, stir in the molasses, and season with salt and black pepper. Use as directed in recipe. 


Glazed 5 Spice Carrots  Serves 4 
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)
 
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 - 3/4 tsp 5 Spice powder
1lb fresh carrots (6-8 med), sliced diagonally into 1/2" thick slices
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp dark toasted sesame oil

In a large non stick skillet, heat the canola oil over a medium heat. Add the 5 Spice powder and stir for 15 seconds. Add the carrots, water, soy sauce and sugar and bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to med-low, cover, and simmer until carrots are fork tender 5-8 minutes. Uncover, season with salt and pepper, and raised the heat to med-high. Cook, stirring often, until the liquid has largely evaporated, 7-9 minutes, adding the sesame oil in the last minute or so of cooking. Serve hot...

So there you have it a twofer day...lol I hope you try them...go on treat yourself. lol. 

Here is a photo of the sea today with the sun shining down on us...glorious...

St Ives beach in the sunshine...the water was so blue..it was hypnotic.

The time spent walking around the sculpture garden was very pleasing..and peaceful despite an enthusiatic school trip joined us..lol.

Barbara Hepworth Sculpture

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been a peaceful one..mine will be spent enjoying the views from my balcony whilst resting. Well there maybe a little therapeutic cooking going on too...lol. 

~Red~ 

Many thanks to Donna Klein for a truly great cook book..respect.