Sunday 10 November 2013

D.K's Chinese (Napa) Cabbage & Bean Sprout Salad

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

U2 ~ I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Keith Urban ~ She's  Gotta Be
Lacuna Coil ~ Our Truth
Maroon 5 ~ Love Somebody
Soundgarden ~ Bones of Birds
Tom Baxter ~ Light Me Up
Shakira ~ Don't Bother
Sarah Washington ~ I Will Always Love You
The Beach Boys ~ Don't Worry Baby
Presley ~ I Can't Stop Loving You 
Pearl Jam ~ Last Kiss
The Eagles ~ I Wish You Peace
AC/DC ~ Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
Pearl Jam ~ Just Breathe

Well I made it to Cornwall! After a delayed departure the road trip happened and despite torrential downpours, essential roads closed by the police and flooded roads we finally made it to our holiday apartment at 9.45pm!!! It was a long day..not the longest road trip I've ever done but long enough for this chicks body right now. When I got up this morning and pulled open the curtains I was greeted by the sea...waves crashing together...and the journey was forgotten. I am in Cornwall and the rest is just details...my heart is light and happy to be near the sea once more.

As regular readers of my little blog will know when I go on holiday I like to pick up a new cookbook and test out the recipes whilst I'm away. I know this sounds like a nightmare for anyone that hates cooking but for me it's exciting and I need kitchen time each day to keep me sane. It's a zenlike state I enter when in the kitchen...so the cookbook this year is Donna Klein's The Chinese Vegan Kitchen. Before I left I went through the book cover to cover and marked off all the recipes I wanted to test. Then I saw the actual size of the kitchen when we arrived here...probably not the best kitchen for a foodie to holiday in...but I made it work this morning with a little expletive therapy here and there...honestly, it really helps with the process. lol.  

The first recipe up was D.K's Chinese Cabbage and Bean Sprout Salad and it was easy to put together. Simple mixing up of the dressing and slicing of the veggies. Easy...however I did have to walk to the sitting area with the sealed box to shake it..lol. Would have done myself a mischief trying to do it in the kitchen (lmao sorry...it's an insult to kitchens to call it that..hole in the wall would be more appropriate..ah well..I don't care really) Let's just say its functional...and leave it at that. 

I ate mine at room temperature and few hours after making it. The veggies worked great together and the differing textures was very enjoyable. The dressing was sharp but not unpleasantly so but as always for me personally I struggle with vinegar in dressings because I feel like I've lost a layer of tooth enamel afterwards. So I would use left rice vinegar next time...but the other dressing ingredients make for a great taste. I really liked this salad...

D.K's Chinese Cabbage & Bean Sprout Salad - tasty!

Chinese Cabbage (Napa) and Bean Sprout Salad   Serves 4
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein) 

3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (I used wheat free)
3 tbsp plain rice vinegar 
1 tbsp dark toasted sesame oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp chilli paste, or to taste (optional)
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cups of thinly sliced Chinese cabbage (or other green cabbage)
4 cups of fresh mung bean sprouts
1/2 med red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2-3 scallions/spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced

In a large bowl whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, brown sugar, ginger, chilli paste, garlic, salt and black pepper until blended. Let stand a few minutes to allow the flavours to blend. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to thoroughly combine. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the flavour to blend once more and toss again and serve at room temp. Alternatively cover and refrigerate for one hour or overnight and serve chilled. 

Enjoy! 

Just wanted to share...this was my view from my balcony this morning whilst I ate my breakfast...sea air and waves....so very happy today..despite feeling grim. It's all good..I'm here at least.
 
So thank you for stopping by and I hope your Sunday has been a peaceful and happy one...

~Red~ 

Many thanks to Donna Klein for a very interesting cookbook...respect.