Sunday 26 June 2011

Sunday Brunch: Green Pepper & Onion Scramble, Italian Feast Sausage and Pan Fried Tomatoes

Kitchen Play List:  BBC Radio 2 - Steve Wright's Sunday Lovesongs

Green Pepper & Onion Scramble, Italian Feast Sausage, Pan Fried Tomatoes with a mug of decaf coffee and Apple & Cherry Juice.
Todays brunch, was once again from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's fantastic cookbook Vegan Brunch

I seem to be having a very 'Isa' week in the kitchen. lol. I used the basic tofu scramble recipe and added chopped green pepper and onion. I always have a stash of vegan sausages in the deep freeze. I have a day where I have a production line going..making the Italian Feast and Chorizo versions and half made with wheat gluten (makes them chewy and more meat like...Yuck!) for My Love and half with wholemeal flour for me. I fill a drawer full of them and it's great to have them there. Great recipes..but I'm not surprised. lol.

During the week I had come across a Vegan Black Pudding Recipe...I know..who knew right? I have always found Black Pudding obscene and used to have to sit and watch my Grandad and my Great Uncles all tucking into it as part of their cooked breakfast as a child. See life long vegetarian lol. So when I found this recipe my instant reaction was...yuck. But when I read through the ingredients I found myself thinking..."Oh now that sounds tasty!" Not a bit of blood insight..lol. So as part of todays brunch we were supposed to have some of the black pudding to try out. But someone didn't read the recipe and missed the 'two hour' chilling point. Oh...nuggets! (Yes that someone was me lol) so I shall be making it later this morning and I'll post the results later in the week. Ah well. lol.

As it turned out this breakfast was great tasting and very filling so the pudding wasn't missed at all. The scramble was full of flavour and the added texture of onions and peppers were great. The Italian Feast sausage was succulent and the bite of heat from the chilli flakes zinged our taste buds. The pan fried tomatoes were...well pan fried tomatoes. lol. I added them more for My Love but I enjoyed them too. The brunch was rounded out by a steaming hot mug of black decaf coffee and freshly juiced apple and cherry juice. We enjoyed this brunch a heck of a lot.

YeeYum..was the consensus of opinion! lol
Green Pepper & Onion Tofu Scramble
(Original recipe from A Vegan Brunch/Moskowitz..adapted a little by ~R~)

For the spice blend:
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme, crushed between your fingers
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp reduced sodium salt~R~)
3 tbsp water

For the tofu:
3 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
2 tbsp olive oil (I used 1/2 tbsp sunflower~R~)
1lb extra firm tofu, drained (I used 1pkt Cauldron Tofu~R~)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
freshly cracked black pepper

1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped

In a small bowl blend the spices and water together and set to one side. 

Preheat a large skillet and heat the oil. Add the onion, pepper and garlic and saute for 8-10 minutes. 

Crumble the drained tofu, squeezing as much water from it as possible. Add it to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for approx 10 minutes stirring frequently to avoid it burning. Some crispy bits are a good thing though. 

Add the spice mix and stir thoroughly. Add the nutritional yeast and then stir again. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve. 

Just a close up to tempt ya taste buds...lol
 
Italian Feast Sausages Makes 4 big sausages
(Recipe from A Vegan Brunch/Moskowitz)

1/2 cup cooked navy beans, rinsed and drained (I use Haricot~R~)
1 cup veggie stock
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed or grated
1 1/4 cups of wheat gluten (I use plain wholemeal flour ~R~)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsps fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp red pepper chilli flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper

Before mixing anything together...set in place your steamer and bring it to a boil. Have four sheets of tin foil ready.

Place your beans into a large bowl and mash then until no whole beans are left. Throw all the remaining ingredients into the bowl in the order listed and mix with a fork. Divide the dough into four. Place one part of the dough onto a tinfoil sheet and mold into a 5" log. Wrap the dough in the tinfoil and then twist the ends like a christmas cracker and then fold the ends up and over to use as handles. Don't worry too much about the shaping as it snaps into shape whilst steaming. 

Place them into the steamer, cover and steam for 40 minutes. That's it. You can unwrap and enjoy immediately or refrigerate until ready to use. Or freeze them. 

Thank you once again to Isa for a great brunch cookbook. 

To assemble todays brunch - cook scramble as per the recipe above. In a separate smaller skillet...2 large tomatoes sliced and set down the centre of the pan. In one side sliced a 'wheat gluten' sausage for My Love and one flour sausage for myself in the other side and let them cook and heat through together. And then plate up and enjoy! 

Happy Brunching! 
~R~