Saturday 18 June 2011

Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins

Kitchen Play List: BBC Radio 2 and lotsa giggles

Ah the weekly kitchen play date with the little ones. Always so much fun and chaos. I love it but that is no surprise to you if you read this blog regularly..lol. This morning the little ones arrived and soon were stood with their aprons on and eager to get baking. I wasn't ready for them lol. I was still mid chilli cooking so My Love entertained them for a while until I had the baking stuff to go. lol. I did have regular shouts from them..."...Are you ready for us Auntie R???" and "...Hhmm that chilli smells good...are you ready for us yet..." and so on. Finally 15 minutes later I let them invade the kitchen...lol. My Love and N set to mashing a large bowl of bananas...she seems to love the messy jobs more than M. So it was left to M and I to weigh out the remaining ingredients. And fun was had by all...even when the muffin cases decided to make a bid for freedom when the tray was moved..lol. However M's description of what happened sounds more fun..."They were parachuting muffin cases Auntie R!" M really does make me chuckle sometimes. And of course they were both willing chocolate chip tasters...

The batter seemed to make enough for 24 muffins but as my oven is temperamental I made just the 12 as the recipe suggested. The recipe is once again from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's wonderful The Joy of Vegan Baking 

The results? Blimey they were huge, fluffy clouds of banana and chocolate. The taste is intense and they were delicious. 

Banana & Chocolate Chip Muffins - So Yum!
Banana & Chocolate Chip Muffins Makes 12 large
(Recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking/C.Patrick-Goudreau)

4 bananas, peeled and mashed
2 cup/250g all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup/200g sugar 
1/3 cup/80ml sunflower oil
1/4 cup/60ml water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup/175g vegan choc chips

Pre-heat the oven to 350'F/180'C/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with cases.

In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. 

In a large bowl beat the sugar and oil together, then add the mashed bananas. Stir in the water and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Add the flour mixture, along with the chocolate chips, and stir to mix.

Fill each muffin case halfway (Erm or 3/4 full as I did..lol R) with the batter. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. (I baked mine for 25 minutes...perfect. R)

Hot delicious muffins straight from the oven...lol
 Leave to cool on cooling racks. 

Enjoy! We did..lol 
~R~
 

NB today I received an invite from Lisa at 'Sweet as sugar cookies' to join join in with her sweet treat linky party! I was very happy to join in the fun and link this post to it - if you have a sweet tooth I strongly urge you to check out her blog


Have fun!

~R~