Friday 3 June 2011

Strawberry & Apple Crisp

Kitchen Play List:   Steve Earle ~ The Galway Girl
                                      Jack Johnson ~ Do You Remember?
                               Jason Collett ~ Blue Sky
                               Sara Sant'Ambrogio ~ Duet from Lakme
                               Colbie Coillat ~ I Won't
                               Mr.Buble ~ Mack the Knife

My Mystery Ingredient Challenge item this week was a large tub of freshly picked strawberries. The house smelt so good whilst they were sat in the kitchen. But if I'm honest they weren't the prettiest looking berries. So I made my mind up almost immediately that I would make them into something...rather than eat them freshly rinsed. And to be honest that's my favourite was of eating them..I don't like dipping them in sugar either...to me that is just spoiling them but maybe a scoop of a good soy vanilla ice cream..and I could be persuaded. lol. 


So as I had so many I decided upon two recipes...the first being a simple Strawberry Sorbet and the second a baked Strawberry & Apple Crisp. One of the blogs I follow is OhSheGlows.com. I find her very inspiring and her recipes always look so good. I had seen this one some time ago and knew that My Love would simply love it.

Today I made it and it was easy to make..smelt really good whilst it was baking. After you take off the foil you are hit with an intense aroma that just makes you smile! lol. And it looks so good...it's hard to walk away from it and allow it to cool. Seriously! lol.

It was so tasty that I'm going to try it again but with raspberries...I think that will work too. I shall update this post when I try it out.

Strawberry & Apple Crisp...wish you could smell this? lol


Strawberry & Apple Crisp 
(Recipe from OhSheGlows.com)

2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
3 large granny smiths apples, peeled & chopped
1/4 cup sugar (I used Demerara)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp + 1 tsp arrowroot powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping: 
1 cup of Almonds, processed until chunky
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sugar (I used Demerara)
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat the oven to 400'F/200'C/Gas Mark 6 and grease a casserole dish. Peel and chop the apples and slice the strawberries. Place in a large bowl and mix with the rest of the filling ingredients. Stir well and set aside. 

In a food processor, place the almonds and blitz until they are chunky. Add the rest of the topping ingredients and pulse for a few seconds until just mixed. Take 1/2 cup of this topping and stir it into the filling mixture. 

Pour the strawberry and apple mixture into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining topping mixture over top.

Cover with a casserole lid or tin foil (with a few holes) and bake for 40 minutes in the pre-heated oven. If you do not cover it the topping will burn. 

Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving..

Thank you Angela/OhSheGlows for a great recipe!