Wednesday 29 June 2011

Rocket and Roses Creamy Soya Bean & Artichoke Hummus.

Kitchen Play List:  Queens of the Stone Age ~ Songs For the Deaf

There is a very pleasant aroma wafting around the kitchen and my work space today..in the kitchen I have some Raspberry, Strawberry and Loganberry fruit tea steeping in my fridge jug and the smell is intensely berry and divine. However that won't be for very much longer as I am about to hit the kitchen and cook our evening meal...lol..and this has absolutely nothing to do with this posting...I just wanted to share. lol.

The seeds of creation for this hummus I give credit to Rstahr via vegweb.com. I was cruising the dips/hummus/pate section and found their White Bean and Artichoke recipe. It was just about the thing I was looking for as a topping for my lunchtime salads. I wanted something...a little different for a few days. And artichokes seemed to hit the spot. 

But for some reason the moment I hit the kitchen to start making this hummus I started changing things around with it. Hence the credit to Rstahr...and then the Rocket and Rose tag because I have made it my own.

Usually I would head straight to cannellini beans for a 'white bean' recipe but today I found myself reaching for a carton of organic soya beans (can be purchased at Sainsburys). Not the fresh green form of soya bean but the almost haricot bean looking one. I had used them recently in another beany dip and they were lovely and creamy. There is the initial rinsing and re-rinsing as you have to wash away the soya bean jelly they come packed in. But it's really only a moment's work. I always have tins of artichoke hearts in water in my store cupboard so I was good to go. lol 

The results were a light, creamy and different version of hummus. I really liked it and enjoyed it on my salad this lunch time. You do get a good artichoke flavour with each mouthful as well as the usual garlicy tahini old faithfuls of a good hummus. If you are looking for something that little bit different then give it a try. 

Rocket and Roses Creamy Soya Bean and Artichoke Hummus
Rocket and Roses Creamy Soya Bean and Artichoke Hummus
(Inspired by Rstahr/vegweb.com - Recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 14oz carton of soya beans, rinsed well and drained
1 14oz tin of artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, grated
1 1/2 tbsp tahini
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
freshly cracked black pepper
3/4 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp cumin

Add the soya beans and artichokes to a food processor and pulse until they are broken down. 

Add the remaining ingredients to the processor and be patient....blending for a minute at a time and then getting in there with a spatula and pushing it all down. Then when it's reached a paste..leave it to blend on a high speed for 4 minutes. (And hopefully your processor won't smell like the engine is about to burn out...like mine does!) lol. 

Spoon into a airtight container and store in the fridge until needed. 

Enjoy! 
~R~