Monday 14 October 2013

Ms Dahl's Soba Noodle Salad with rainbow vegetables and sesame dressing...

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Glen Campbell ~ All I Want Is You
The Eagles ~ Doolin' Dalton/Desperado
Natalie Clein ~ Brahms: Cello Sonata: Passionato
Rob Thomas ~ Her Diamonds
JET ~ She Holds A Grudge
Harry Connick Jr ~ Don't Get Around Much Anymore
Lacuna Coil ~ Falling Again
The Animals ~ We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Jem ~ Aciiid!
U2 ~ Desire
Bowes & Morley ~ Dancing The Night Away
Buckcherry ~ Timebomb
Buckcherry ~ Dead Again
Deap Vally ~ Women of Intention

Monday mornings are something to look forward to for me now, as my sister comes to visit for a couple of hours whilst the Littlest One is at her play group. The time speeds by but its much treasured time. Today I enjoyed our time whilst pottering about my kitchen and laughed as my sister pulled faces at the veggies coming out of the fridge. lol. Although she was a little resistant at trying a strip of Daikon at first...eventually she gave it a try. And as there was no obvious spitting it out, I think she didn't mind it.

I recently picked up a used copy of Ms Sophie Dahl's From Season to Season cookbook and yesterday I posted  the Baked Pumpkin recipe and was inspired to make another dish from this great cookbook. Today it was the Soba Noodle Salad that looked absolutely divine in the photograph although I always carry a healthy dose of scepticism about food photography, as recipes rarely turn out anything like the cookbook photographs. And maybe I should've chosen another dish today because it is cold here and pouring with rain...and maybe not the best day for a cold noodle salad. I don't mind...*shivering*..it will be just fine. lol.

I adapted the ingredients to fit what I had in my stores so I used buckwheat soba noodles, chinese lettuce and agave nectar. But as always I'll provide the original recipe for your information. I found this salad to be refreshing, crunchy and filling and the sesame dressing to be comforting. A great salad.

Ms Dahl's Soba Noodle Salad with rainbow vegetables and a sesame dressing

Soba Noodle Salad with rainbow vegetables and sesame dressing Serves 2
(Recipe from From Season to Season/Dahl)

250g/9oz soba noodles
1/2 large daikon, cut into thin strips
1/2 a small white cabbage, shredded
1 medium carrot, grated
a handful of radishes, thinly sliced
1 spring onion, finely sliced

3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp honey or agave syrup

Cook the noodles as per the packet instructions and then drain and leave to cool. When the noodles are cool place them in the bowl you are going to serve them in and add all of the vegetables - shredding, grating and thinly slicing. 

In a small frying pan, toast the sesame seeds for a minute or so. Add to the noodles. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together, adjusting according to taste and pour over the noodles. Serve. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Monday is the start of a great week ahead...

~Red~

NB: I sprinkled on some black sesame seeds at the end for the photograph but think I'll do so next time also.