Wednesday 28 September 2011

Curried Cauliflower with Black Beans

Kitchen Play List:  The Kinks ~ Set Me Free
                                       Booty Luv ~ Boogie 2Nite
                                       Enrique Iglesias ~ Could I Have The Kiss
                                       Nicola Benedetti ~ Schubert : Ave Maria
                                       Nelly & Jaheim ~ My Place
                                       Evanescence ~ Lose Control

I cannot believe the sunshine beaming through my workroom windows today...lol. Is it summer or autumn? Who can tell? lol. As autumn is probably my most favourite season I guess I'm hoping for the later. lol. But I think in my mind I've already given myself over to the lovely autumnal season. In my head I'm going back over my favourite warm and comforting dishes. And at the moment they have to be easy to make as I'm kitchen able for about 30 minutes a day. (Yes my patience is still being tested! lol) 

This dish I found on FatFreeVegan.com and it was adapted from another recipe and I have changed it some too.

I love cauliflower and black beans so I knew I had to try this recipe but then I made the adaptions of adding broccoli and mushrooms and uping the chilli flakes. We usually have it with brown rice but as we're detoxing for two weeks, we had it serves over shredded steamed white cabbage. Believe me, cabbage beds tastes far more better then they sound! lol. 

I ran out of energy before photographing this dish so My Love helpfully took a snap whilst it was still in the skillet...so thanks once again to My Love. I hope you try this dish as it's a tasty one! lol


Curried Cauliflower with Black Beans
Curried Cauliflower with Black Beans
(Adapted from an adapted recipe originally found on FatFreeVegan.com)

1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 small cauliflower, cut into bitesize florets
1 med broccoli. cut into bitesize florets
3/4 - 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
1 14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
3 large mushrooms, halved and sliced
1 14oz tin of black beans, rinsed and drained

Heat a large skillet and the curry powder, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring until just fragrant..10-15 seconds.

Add cauliflower, broccoli and chilli flakes and 4 tbsp water. Cook, stirring as needed until the cauliflower is well coated and nearly all the liquid is evaporated. 4-5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, mushroom and another 4 tbsp water. Stir well to combine. Cook, covered, stirring until slightly thickened, about 10-15 minutes. 

Gently stir in the beans. Cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve.

Enjoy!
~R~