Monday 5 September 2011

Carrot Cake

Kitchen Play List: Madeleine Peyroux ~ You're Gonna Make Me...
                                     Kanye West ~ Stronger
                                     Pearl Jam ~ Even Flow
                                     Katy Perry ~ Hot N Cold
                                     Prince ~ Cream
                                     The Rolling Stones ~ It's All Over Now

This is the recipe for the first carrot cake I ever made..I was supposed to be making it on Saturday with the little ones but they got distracted by their Uncle visiting...lol. Fair enough...so I went ahead and baked it for them anyway. This recipe is naturally vegan but I found it years ago in a vegetarian cookbook. It's a very basic carrot cake and is moist and fluffy. It maybe wouldn't win any baking contests but that really doesn't bother me...it's not why I enjoy baking. 

The recipe is beyond simple...the ingredients are cheap...the results are good. However my nephew J was a little disturbed at carrots in his cake but he enjoyed it regardless..lol. What a trooper! 

The recipe comes from Carolyn Humphries good cookbook The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes 

Carrot Cake
Carrot Cake
(Recipe from The Classic 1000 Vegetarian Recipes/Humphries)

225g/8oz/2 cup self raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
150g/5oz/2/3 cup margarine
100g/4oz/ 1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large carrots, grated

Mix the flour and the baking powder in a bowl. Melt the margarine and sugar, then pour into the flour and mix well. Stir in the carrots. Pour into a greased or lined loaf tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 160'c/325'F/Gas Mark 3 for 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool. 

Enjoy! 
~R~ 



No you haven't got blurred vision..lol. This was little N's attempt at taking a photo...although still not bad for a 2 year old! lol.







Update: Having tried this again...I find that my tastes in Carrot Cake has definitely changed...I enjoyed this but not as much as the Spiced Carrot Cake I made a couple of months ago. I found it crumbled easily so be warned.lol.