Tuesday 7 January 2014

Vegan Sloppy Black Eyed Peas (Slowcooker recipe)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Tina Dico ~ Room With A View 
Martina McBride ~ The Time Has Come 
Depeche Mode ~ Enjoy The Silence 
Thunder ~ Stormwater 
Rob Thomas ~ This Is How A Heart Breaks
U2 ~ Where The Streets Have No Name
Skin ~ Wings Of An Angel 
Auf Der Maur ~ Would If I Could
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band ~ Was
Sharon D Clarke ~ Back On Track 
Shania Twain ~ Up!
P!nk ~ Trouble 
Pearl Jam ~ Why Go 
Audioslave ~ Show Me How To Live

Black Eyed Peas...nope, not the group..but the humble little legume. Apparently it is believed that cooking them for a New Year brings prosperity. Well I sure need some of that so I fired up my slow cooker to make a batch of this New Orleans inspired dish. The recipe is from Kathy Hester's cookbook Vegan Slow Cooking although I found it posted on a random recipe website. It is very simple to put together and as it's such a small amount I was able to use my smallest slow cooker...it makes about 2.5 cups of sloppy joe. I have never made sloppy joes of any kind before so I was a little unsure as to how it was supposed to turn out. I had picked up a couple of sunflower rolls the day before so I saved them for this meal. 

I've had a little trouble with dried black eyed peas before so although it doesn't say to do so, I put mine into soak the night before. Aside from chopping a small amount of carrot, pepper and garlic the work is minimal. The instructions say a cooking time of 7-9 hours and I checked mine at the 7 hour mark and although it had all mulched down nicely I found the peas to be a little undercooked. I added the cabbage, puree and seasonings at this point and placed the lid back on and left it to cook for a further 2.5 hours. Now...I believe at this cooking time the peas were just cooked. But next time I would maybe add a little more water and give it 10 hours on Low. But that is just my personal preference...

The results when added to the firm Sunflower roll (which I ate as an open sandwich to avoid spillage..yes, yes I know..what a wuss! lol) was very enjoyable. Having never eaten Sloppy Joes before it was certainly an experience. I greatly enjoyed the taste and textures. And eventually I got the hang of the sandwich..lol. I don't think I'll ever be a closed Sloppy Joe kind of a gal...but whatever works is good, right? Give it a try...see which sandwich style you prefer...

Vegan Sloppy Black Eyed Peas....

Vegan Sloppy Black Eyed Peas     Yields 2.5 cups
(Recipe from Vegan Slow Cooking/Hester)

Morning ingredients

2 cups water 
1/3 cup dried black eyed peas
1/3 cup carrots, chopped
1/6 cup millet
2 tbsp minced bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Cajun seasoning 
1/8-1/4 tsp liquid smoke 

Evening ingredients:

1 cup minced greens collard, kale etc
2 tbsp tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste 

2-3 rolls/buns for serving (Obviously use GF bread if that is required)

In the morning:

Add the morning ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. 

In the evening: 

About 30 minutes before you wish to serve this..you need to add the greens and tomato paste. Cover and allow to cook for the remaining 30 minutes. 

Right before serving add the salt and pepper, along with more Cajun seasoning if desired. Pile the sloppy mixture on your rolls. Serve....

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Tuesday has been very good to you....

~Red~ 

NB: This recipe is not my creation and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hardwork and creative talent of Kathy Hester. ~R~