Monday 20 January 2014

Stuffed Courgettes with Cashew Nuts and Wild Rice (adapted)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

The Cranberries ~ Show Me
Republica ~ Ready To Go
Missy Higgins ~ Warm Whispers 
Adele ~ Turning Tables 
Live ~ Waitress
Foo Fighters ~ Razor
Dixie Chicks ~ Baby Hold On
Tina Dico ~ Break Of Day
Foo Fighters ~ Cheer Up Boys
Auf Der Maur ~ Head Unbound
James Morrison ~ If You Don't Wanna Love Me
Sufran Stevens ~ Arnika 
Colbie Caillat ~ One Fine Wine
Joan Jett ~ Desire

Recently I had the delight of finding some globe courgettes in my supermarket. You hardly ever find them here...plenty of the long green kind and sometimes the odd long yellow ones show up. Before I could finish expressing my verbal delight in finding this rare veggie I had two stashed in my trolley. lol. I knew immediately they were going to be stuffed with some fantastic filling and as the thought of cutting them up was appalling. 

When it came to making this recipe I found myself sharing my kitchen with my sister and she watched in silence as I carefully carved out the centres..lol. Phew..thankfully it was easier than I thought it would be. And chopping up the ingredients for the stuffing was enjoyable. I found the recipe posted anonymously (Grrr!) and although I knew I wouldn't be making this exact recipe, as I didn't have wild rice in my stocks, I was looking forward to the cashew nut filling. Once the filling was cooked we tried a spoonful and was underwhelmed to say the least. It was a little concerning but understandable as the filling relies on the earthly flavours of rice, onion, garlic, red pepper and cashew nuts. However my instinct told me to keep going and I stuffed my courgette shells and placed the dish into the awaiting oven. 

My sister had to leave before they were cooked. So I sat down to lunch and dubiously made my first cut into one of them. I scooped up plenty of stuffing with my succulent roasted courgette and took a taste. I don't know what kind of cooking voodoo happened in my oven but when the filling was combined with the roasted courgette...something fabulous happened. The flavours were intensely savoury and delicious. The meal was also light and not heavy on the stomach. It was a great lunch served with a simple side salad of rocket and carrots. I loved them so much I texted my sister to tell her she missed out on something special...ok to brag lol and then had to promise to make them for her soon. lol. This will be a regular recipe here at the HQ...can't wait to make it again.

Stuffed Courgettes with Cashew Nuts and Wild Rice (adapted)

Stuffed Courgettes with Cashew Nuts and Wild Rice (adapted)  Serves 4

4 courgettes
1 tbsp oil 
2oz/55g wild rice (I used regular brown)
1 medium onion, chopped 
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped 
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed 
2oz/55g carrot, grated 
1 1/2 oz/45g cashew nuts, lightly toasted 
salt and pepper to taste 

Cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet. 

Cut the courgettes in half length ways (or hollow out the centre of globe courgettes). Remove the flesh, leaving about half a centimetre. Chop the flesh and set aside. 

Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions and red pepper. Cook gently for about ten minutes until the onion is starting to brown. Add the garlic, chopped courgette flesh and carrots and cook for a further few minutes. 

Remove the pan from the heat and add cashew nuts, rice, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into the courgette shells. 

Cover and place on a baking tray. Cook in a preheated oven at 190'C/375'F/GM 5 for 25-30 minutes. Serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Monday had been a great one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it. I send out thanks to whoever created it.