Wednesday 8 January 2014

Beetroot, Blood Orange, Walnut & Rocket Salad

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Amy Grant ~ Somewhere Down The Road
Maroon 5 ~ Tickets 
Buble ~ Wonderful Tonight
Adam Ant ~ Goody Two Shoes
Chris Cornell ~ Imagine (Live)
Natalie Imbruglia ~ Sunlight 
Jackson Browne ~ Your Bright Blue Eyes
Court Yards Hounds ~ Skyline
The Undertones ~ Teenage Kicks
The Black Keys ~ Little Black Submarines
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Look At Little Sister
Michelle Branch ~ Everywhere 
Nat King Cole ~ Just One Of Those Things 
Sarah McLachlan ~ Fallen

One of my favourite things about Winter is the arrival of Blood Oranges. They are by far my favourite citrus but the problem with where I live is that they are almost impossible to buy. One little independent grocers in the city usually has them...however this year they didn't. I was gutted but then another newly opened grocer a little further down the street had a sign saying...Navel Blood Oranges! Woo! Blood oranges...just larger! What is not to love about that? So a bagful was purchased and this happy cook was smiling for the rest of the day. lol. I know...small things etc. Hush, please?

When I have a bagful of these beautiful oranges sat waiting for my attention my mind goes into recipe overload. This time was no different and I walked into my kitchen armed with a stack of printouts and pages of scribblings of newly created recipes and ideas. I can't wait to start cutting them up and getting my hands covered in the blood red juices. 

Now blood orange juice is good for me, freshly squeezed and added to some chilled champagne or sparkling water. I also really enjoy it mixed into a salad dressing which is why I decided to try out this salad recipe. Once again it was random post on a recipe website so I don't know anything about it's origin. But it listed beetroot, rocket and blood oranges in its ingredients so for me it was a sure thing..lol. 

As always I enjoyed the process of making this and didn't end up that purple..lol. However I would say that the amount of dressing you end up with is massively too much and I only used about a fifth and then had to ditch the rest. The bitterness of the rocket leaves worked well to even out the sweetness of the beetroot and the oranges. If I'm honest I could've enjoyed this salad without the dressing but that's just me. But as a whole it was a great salad..fresh, full of texture and tasty. 

Beetroot, Blood Orange, Walnut & Rocket Salad

Beetroot, Blood Orange, Walnut & Rocket Salad     Serves 4-6

2.5lbs cooked beetroot, thinly sliced

2 bunches of rocket, rinsed and drained well

1/2 cup walnut halves

Dressing:

3 blood oranges 
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar 
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 
salt to taste

Arrange the rocket leaves over the base of a servings place and set to one side. 

Grate the zest of one of the oranges in a bowl, being careful not to add white pith. Cut the orange in half and juice one half into the bowl and set the other to one side. Add the shallot to the juice and stir well. Add in the vinegar and oil and whisk until combined. Taste the dressing and if its too acidic then juice the second half of the orange and add that. Whisk again. 

Add the beetroot slices to a bowl and then spoon over a few tablespoons of the dressing and then move around to coat the slices. Set to one side. 

Top and tail the oranges and then cut away the skin ensuring there is no pith left. Then thinly slice the oranges. 

Arrange the beetroots slices over the leaves followed by the orange slices and the spoon over some more of the dressing. Serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been a great one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe therefore I take no credit for its creation. ~R~