Friday 3 January 2014

Pea and Mint Pesto

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Buckcherry ~ Nothing Left But Tears 
Beth Hart ~ Easy 
Soundgarden ~ Never The Machine Forever
Foreigner ~ That Was Yesterday
Peggy Lee ~ My Old Flame
The Zutons ~ Not A Lot To Do
The Union ~ Cut The Line
Alisha's Attic ~ The Golden Rule
Thunder ~ Can't Get By On Love
Joan Jett ~ Pretty Vacant
Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker
Eddie Vedder ~ Guaranteed
Nicola Benedetti ~ Tzigane 
Caro Emerald ~ Absolutely Me 

Delicious...delicious...delicious! This pesto is a little bit tasty. lol. I made this with the help of my little nephew Myles and he was less than impressed. However he did enjoy stripping the mint from its stalks...oh and pulsing the processor but he wasn't so keen on the peas. 

If I'm honest I wasn't too sure about this pesto myself but was very brave...come dinner time I cooked off some spaghetti and peas and stirred in some of the pale green sauce. Leaving it a few minutes to heat through...I took my first mouthful...and was completely taken with it. I know..the spaghetti helped obviously, it being my ultimate comfort food but this pesto wasn't at all like I expected..it wasn't overly fresh or raw and using garlic infused oil made it a very mellow pesto sauce. The mint is a gentle hit despite how potent it smelt going into the processor. And I have leftovers! I'm looking forward to using it up...as the littlest niece would say...Ooooh Yummy Yummy. lol.

Since making this batch of pesto I have enjoyed it as part of a sandwich and also cold in a simple pasta salad as in the picture below..using a 'new to me' pasta shape Trofie. It's a great little pasta that holds sauces really well as well as it's shape. 

Pea and Mint Pesto Salad

Pea & Mint Pesto   Makes 1 heaped cup

2 cups defrosted garden peas
1/3 cup raw cashews
juice of one smallish lemon
1/4 cup loosely packed, fresh mint leaves
3 tbsp garlic infused oil

Place the first four ingredients into a blender or processor and blitz down. Then with the blade running drizzle the oil into the feeder and then blend until its a smooth paste.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great day...

~Red~