Wednesday 22 January 2014

Rocket & Roses Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl

Rocket & Roses Play List:

Stevie Nicks & Dave Grohl ~ You Can't Fix This
Don Henley ~ All She Wants To Do Is Dance
The Thompson Twins ~ You Take Me Up
Anna Nalick ~ Breathe (Acoustic)
Foo Fighters ~ Gimme Stitches 
Half Moon Run ~ Need It 
Dead Sara ~ Weatherman 
Eddie Vedder ~ Waving Palms 
Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow ~ Picture 
Gin Wigmore ~ Devil In Me
Foo Fighters ~ Drive Me Wild 
The Pretty Reckless ~ Light Me Up
Gretchen Wilson ~ Her Strut
Garbage ~ I'm Only Happy When It Rains
 

Sometimes I forget about lunch...I know, I know..I shouldn't but I get immersed in work and/or getting through the day and it slips my mind. Even more shocking on the days where I am actually in the kitchen recipe testing and reviewing foods/books. My own lunch seems to slip me by but today I was all ready..lol. My Mum was here for her usual Wednesday afternoon visit and as she sat in the kitchen with me, she told me about all the events of her weekly art class and updated me on her own personal pieces she's working on. I love to hear her talk about her art and I was busy putting the finishing touches to two recipes I had been working on and once that was all finished and put away, I got busy making this delicious noodle bowl. 

I love this type of meal...an awaiting bowl, a single serving of soba/buckwheat noodles and a heap of veggies waiting to be prepped. I am in my happy place here. Although at the moment I am abstaining from fermented products so using my usual soy/tamari, rice vinegar and miso was out. Damn! Yes, I know right? So I had to go back to the flavour square one as it were. I started the dish by grating ginger and garlic together and then prepped the veggies listed below. I boiled 2 cups of water and then added that to the pan of veggies and then added noodles and allowed it simmer. Now for me I would happily eat this without the need for a sauce or dressing and this thought finally filtered through to my conscious. Why mess with it? lol. Giving the  veggies and noodles a brief cooking time I mixed them in the pan and drizzled 1 tsp toasted sesame oil on them and distributed it. At this point my Mum was sat there watching me and making statements of..."Oooh that looks good...and it smells smashing.." lol. So I figured I was on the right track. lol. I don't usually blog these thrown together recipes but today's is posted at my Mum's request. And apparently she likes to watch me work..lol. Did I mention she's a character?

You know what? It was good...and I didn't miss the miso, soy or vinegar. The noodles were just perfect for me, the veggies were tender crisp and the natural flavours shone through with each bite and the very small hint of sesame rounded the dish out very pleasingly. I ate this for my lunch and enjoyed every bite. And a meal made in minutes...bonus. Why do people bother with packaged noodle dishes?

Rocket & Roses Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl

Rocket & Roses Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl    Serves 1
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 individual serving of Soba/Buckwheat noodles 

1 1/2" piece of fresh ginger, micro grated 
1 garlic clove, micro grated
4 spring/green onions, trimmed and sliced
4 radishes, trimmed and sliced
6 baby sweetcorn, cut in half
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
3 Chinese leaves (Napa), rinsed and sliced 
6 mangetout, trimmed and halved
6 sugarsnap peas, trimmed and halved 

1 tsp toasted sesame oil 

approx 2 cups of boiling water

Place the prepped veggies in a saucepan and add the boiling water so they are covered by about 1 cm. Bring them to the boil and cover, cook for 4 minutes. Add in the noodles and once they have mooched down into the broth, cover and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lid and stir gently to distribute the veggies amongst the noodles. Finish the dish by drizzling the sesame oil over the mix and then give it one final gentle stir. And serve...

Enjoy! I did...lol 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been as satisfying as mine has...

~Red~