Saturday 18 January 2014

Gujarati Cabbage

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel ~ Make Me Smile
Billies Myers ~ Opposites Attract
PCD ~ Feelin' Good
Bob Marley ~ Wisdom
Nelly Furtado ~ Wait For You
Alanis Morrisette ~ Let's Do It
Soundgarden ~ Like Suicide
Gary Moore ~ With Love (Remember)
Cyndi Lauper ~ Stay
Cat Power ~ Lived In Bars
Meredith Brooks ~ Bitch
Shakira ~ No Creo
Halestorm ~ Familiar Taste Of Poison
Pink Floyd ~ Wish You Were Here

It's Saturday! Woo! It has been one long week...and despite a very bad night which has left me a little worn out I am very much looking forward to my sister and the little ones visiting today. I need the hugs..I need interactions...I need the contact. Tonight I am spending the evening with my chosen family. We are meeting up at a friends house to enjoy an evening of games. Can't wait. I love Saturdays. But first...breakfast..fuel for the day ahead...

I am always on the hunt for new fillings for my tofu omelette breakfasts. This recipe blipped on my radar via Pinterest and the posting gives 'credit' to James Oseland therefore so do I. lol. Cabbage is one of my favourite veggies because I love it's versatility. I can eat it plainly steamed with no additions and never tire of it. But it doesn't hurt to mix it up occasionally, eh? And this recipe definitely does that.

The lightly cooked fresh savoy cabbage (any cabbage will do, that was just what I had in my stocks), peppers, chilli and intense spice mix with a hit of lime really sounded fantastic to me. I really didn't think the salting of cabbage was necessary because my savoy was quite dry to start with but I went along with it. And not a single drip of moisture was released...nope..not one! Anyway...this recipe is easy to make and I personally loved the constant need to be stir frying the cabbage. I also enjoyed the aroma as the spices went into the skillet. But then, I was smiling because of the uplifting smell as I juiced the limes..never fails to put me in a happy place.

The results were as I expected...one heck of a powerhouse of flavours. Great texture from the cabbage and the spices gave it a interesting colour indeed. And in every mouthful you have the lime bursting out at you and it really did define the term...zingy! lol. When writing my notes on the recipe whilst eating it, zingy was the only word I could come up with. It worked very well as my omelette filling too. I plan on eating it this was one more time and then making a Chickpea Fritatta with the leftovers. (Update: this worked great as the filling for the Fritatta..delish!)

Gujarati Cabbage - Yep that colour is all spice baby..lol

Gujarati Cabbage       Serves 4 

1 cabbage, cored and shredded 
salt to taste 

2 tbsp peanut oil 
2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp Asafetida 
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground turmeric
10 fresh curry leaves
3 plum tomatoes chopped
3 Italian frying peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1 Serrano chilli, thinly sliced 
5 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro 
1/4 cup fresh lime juice 
2 tbsp sugar 

Toss cabbage and salt in a bowl. Let wilt for one hour. Squeeze excess liquid from cabbage, set aside. 

Heat oil in a large skillet over a med-high heat. Add mustard seeds, Asafetida, cumin and curry leaves; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add reserved cabbage, turmeric, tomatoes, peppers and chilli; cook, stirring, until the cabbage is crisp tender, 6-7 minutes. Stir in cilantro, lime juice and sugar. Season with salt; cook until flavours meld, 3-5 minutes. Serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Saturday is everything you hoped it would be...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever.