Monday 23 December 2013

Open Roasted Brussels Sprout, Hummus and Balsamic Drizzle Sandwiches

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Wardell Grey Quartet ~ Twisted
Pearl Jam ~ Better Man
Edith Piaf ~ J'ai Danse Avec L'amour
Missy Higgins ~ The Special Two
Jim Reeves ~ I Love You Because
Dinah Washington ~ Fly Me To The Moon
Maroon 5 ~ Not Falling Apart
Kelly Clarkson ~ Miss Independent
Pucinni ~ Turandot Nessum Dorma
Brandi Carilie ~ What Can I Say
Blondie ~ Atomic
KORN ~ Move On
Anna Nalick ~ More Than A Melody

Ok..ok..ok! Now settle down all the sprout haters in the back! lol I can assure you that this recipe could also be made with some other roasted green but for me it has to be the humble Brussels sprout. I have never until this week ever tried a roasted sprout and now I've roasted some twice! This time it was a simple affair of a little drizzle of oil and freshly cracked black pepper.

I have always enjoyed leftover steamed sprouts mixed with hummus in pitas and when I had leftovers roasted sprouts I decided to try them in an open sandwich. I tried one with wheat bread and a gluten free bread and both worked. The combination of the roasted sprouts and hummus was delightful and then when I lightly drizzled some balsamic vinegar over them it kicked them up to another level. I think I'll be hoping for more leftover sprouts over the festive period. lol.

An open topped sandwich really can work a treat.

Open Roasted Brussels Sprout, Hummus & Balsamic Drizzle Sandwiches

3 small slices of bread per person (Wt or GF)

leftover roasted Brussels Sprouts 
(trimmed, halved, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with freshly cracked black pepper. 
..placed in a baking dish and roasted in a hot oven for 30 minutes. Stirring halfway. 
..You know just in case you don't have any leftovers..ahem) 

pot of hummus, homemade or store bought 

tsp black balsamic vinegar per person 

Smear each slice generously with hummus. Load each slice with the roasted sprouts...go on see how many you can get on there! Then drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. 

Now they are great eaten straight away but even better prepared earlier and left to let the flavours merge. 

Serve and Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your life isn't too mad right now..remember it's just one day out of the year. Oh and remember to...Breathe! 

~Red~