Thursday 12 December 2013

Chopped Kale Salad with Edamame, Carrot and Avocado

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Foo Fighters ~ Miracle 
Sensible Pets ~ Bothergod
Janiva Magness ~ That's Why I'm Cryin'
The Puppini Sisters ~ Spooky 
Queen ~ I Want It All
The Cranberries ~ Will You Remember
Jools Holland & Tom Jones ~ Glory of Love
Bon Jovi ~ You Give Love A Bad Name
Thunder ~ Can't Get By On Love
Harry Connick Jr ~ It Had To Be You
Savage Garden ~ Violet
Shelby Lynne ~ You're The Man
Colbie Caillat ~ I Won't 
Thunder ~ She's So Fine (Live at Monsters of Rock)

Yes..it's cold outside and I am still enjoying salads. When it comes to soup and salads I eat them all year round...they are not seasonal dishes for me. This recipe was found posted by anonymous once again so as always if you know who created it please drop me a line and I will happily give credit where it's due.

Whilst typing this recipe up I am laughing heartily to Martin Short as Jack Frost in a Christmas movie. How I love that man...always makes me cry with laughter. Anyway....I chose this recipe because I had a 'sack' of green kale to use up. I'm serious...it's huge...I struggled to fit it in my fridge. lol. But you can't let kale go to waste...it's a law or something, right? 

I have to say I found making this salad quite good fun. I can honestly say I have never massaged a veggie before...but I have now. Still not really sure if I know why I was stood massaging kale but hey...I did it. I liked the unusual textures that make up this recipe. I found myself tossing the veggies with a smile on my face. (Yes I am still taking the medication..cheeky! lol) And the dressing was easy although I made a change to the ingredients slightly. The recipe asks for 3 minced cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of olive oil....but I can find raw garlic in dressing a little overpowering sometimes. I had a bottle of garlic infused olive oil and so used that instead...and slightly less than the full 1/4 cup...yikes. 

The results were interesting. I am still in search of my avocado love...it's one of those foods I want to love...but sometimes I fail...so suddenly having a mouthful of avocado was a little challenging...but not unpleasantly so. I loved the differing textures...the crisp crunch from the mangetout/snow peas, the creamy edamame beans, the chewiness of the kale and the simple textures from the carrots, pepper and shallots. I found the dressing to be very enjoyable because in different moments the citrus of the lime zinged through, the savoury sesame notes and the heat from the fresh ginger warmed your mouth and lips perfectly. Overall a great salad and one I will make often....

Chopped Kale Salad with Edamame, Carrot & Avocado

 Chopped Kale Salad with Edamame, Carrot & Avocado   Serves 4

1 bunch of kale (I used 2 cups)
1 cup snow peas/mangetout, trimmed and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled & ribboned with a peeler
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 heaping cup of organic edamame beans, defrosted 
1 avocado, pitted and sliced into small chunks
1 large shallot, finely sliced (I used two small)
handful of fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped (I used 1/2 cup)
handful of fresh basil, chopped (I used 1/2 cup)

1/4 cup of olive oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar 
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
2 tsp lime juice
3 garlic cloves, minced 
(or garlic infused oil) 

Remove the stalks from the kale and discard them. Chop the kale into small bite size pieces and then place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the kale with sea salt and use your hands to massage the kale by scrunching the leaves in your hands and then releasing them until the kale is a darker green and fragrant. Toss the remaining salad veggies in with the kale until thoroughly mixed. 

To make the dressing, simply whisk all the ingredients until emulsified. Toss the dressing with salad and then simply serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday has been a very good one....

~Red~

 This recipe is not my creation and therefore take no credit for it. Red